Re: Downstream Connection speed has been reduced from 3600 Kbps to 2400 Kbps

Apologies, I've corrected it now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

DarT

Quote from: Bob
@DarT, I think what we need to do in your case is lower your target SNR to 9db or 6db. The problem I have with requesting this at the moment, is the fact that you've another type of fault raised on your line (because you're synchronising below your Fault Threshold Rate). This is a little ironic TBH because it's likely the result of your target SNR increasing in the first place! Just needs a call to a department in BT to have the SNR lowered I think. I'll see if I can get onto this.

That would be great Bob, prior to all this starting i had a very stable connection at 6db so unless something has happened, should still be stable at this, therefore would like to go back to this level of margin.
Thanks
gm4jjj
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Thanks Bob, I found the wizzard before I got the corrected link, so have started the tests.
I also got a reply from CS to my previous ticket, they thought I had lots of disconnects, but I suspect they were just me attempting restarts of my router over the last few days since the noise margin increased. I have had no disconnects today and have been running RouterStats all day to keep an eye on the RX noise. On that basis I really would accept 12dB Target Noise Margin again.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@DarT, I have put clear notes on your ticket as to what our faults team need to do and they will get back to me next week if this has failed (alternatively give me a nudge yourself on these forums).
@gm4jjj, I have escalated your fault to BTW. We need to wait for them to clear the fault then reject it. Once this has been done, a quick call to them should get your SNR lowered. Once again I've left clear instructions on your ticket for our faults agents so do let me know if you're still having difficulties early next week.
@Dan the Van, I may not be able to look at your account again until after the bank holiday as I'll not be in the office for much longer I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gm4jjj
Rising Star

Thanks Bob. I read all the stuff on the ticket that you put on it.  Shocked
I'm also awaiting upgrade to Max Premium on this line, wonder if that is something that happens at the exchange and whether it will muck up this all over again?
Have a good Holiday.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Bob,
sorry not to respond earlier, here is my current router stats.
ADSL Link                   Downstream            Upstream
Connection Speed      2432 kbps               448 kbps
Line Attenuation         55.0 db                   28.0 db
Noise Margin               15.4 db                   19.0 db
Ive been monitoring the Noise margin this week and it is stable around 15 db. The line has been stable since I raised the BB fault.
I'm going to try at the master socket again this weekend to see if it improves at all

gm4jjj
Rising Star

I left RouterStats running all yesterday and last night. My Netgear DG834Gv2 is suffering from the kind of problems with dramatic drop in S/N at night due to Medium Wave AM broadcast radio stations being picked up in the telephone line. I have about 4km of line here.
Interesting article about this http://www.mf2fm.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry071119-115330
I have disconnected bell wire, used router into the faceplate and all the usual tricks to try and get every last bit out the of the system, but still eventually lose sync in the dead of the night.
This may have been made worse by the recent upgrade of my exchange to 21CN and ADLS2+, my Netgear apparently is set to AUTO rather than G.DMT
I'm taking some other measures to try and improve the situation here. I have ordered a Thomson Speedtouch 585v6 to try as a replacement. I also ordered a Netgear DG834N before I read the following info that is very enlightening. I'll probably send the Netgear back unopened if the Speedtouch works well.
More info from someone who had the same problem with a Netgear DG834G
http://www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/adsl-snr

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely the Radio interference theory would depend upon the telephone wires being above ground for a decent distance?
Having said that, my wires disappear underground about 50m away - yet I notice a definite fall in noise margin (only about 0.2dB), as reported by my netgear each evening.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gm4jjj
Rising Star

Well, there could be other overhead lines joining in to the same cable duct and coupling in to mine i guess. It doesn't take much length of wire to pick up China Radio International here on my tranny. Grin
I'm looking at the graph diving down as I type, it started at about 20:30 BST after being flat all day. (MW band full of foreign stations now). Noise margin 2 to 3dB was 15dB all day.
Wish i had only 0.2dB drop in evening... you probably have a much stronger signal to start with , my line attenuation is 56dB here, so the ADSL signal is struggling to compete with the broadcast stations.
owlguard
Grafter

Hi all,ive got an outstanding problem with my snr which ive raised a ticket about and am still hoping my problem is solved later.My question is,my wife and i are going away for 2 weeks in around a weeks time and if i just switch the router off altogether,will it resync snr wise at the default setting of 6 and save me from the excessive misery these resettings of syncs can be,by the looks of things.I did read somewhere that if your router is solid for 14 days then it resyncs at your 6snr default as it were,so im hoping for this to happen if the plusnet team doesnt get it sorted before then.This im sure is a damn nightmare,once you have had a one off problem with resyncing etc,one thunderstorm or whatever,wife cleaning under my pc table and switching off belkin surge protect power after just getting my 3 days of restarts over and then back up to 12 snr setting instead of my normal rock solid 6 and then back down to 1500 from2000.
                                      kind regards any thoughts and up the owls today,ray. Crazy
gm4jjj
Rising Star

This is the graph from yesterday/today showing the Netgear DG834Gv2 Noise Margin over night. Note that it does not recover to the original 15dB after the nightime drop. A reboot will recover it to 15dB however. Didn't lose sync last night however.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A netgear DG834G can have it's noise margin set by either a couple of simple commands - there is also some Windows software that will do the job.
When you switch it off it will lose the custom setting though - after 3 days BT will/should increase your profile.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gm4jjj
Rising Star

Unfortunately the particular model I have - DG834G version2 , cannot be altered.  That is why I have ordered the new modem/router, which can be altered.
I'll let you know if this is a success or not, fingers crossed.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Bob.
I now have the connection details when I have filter connected directly to the Master Socket. (Two filters used for the test, same result)
ADSL Link               Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 2528 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation   55.0 db     28.0 db
Noise Margin             15.1 db       19.0 db
These are in line with what I am seeing when connecting via extention cable in the house.
FYI, I raised two fault calls for this problem, please see  ID: 24881559 and ID: 24898401.
ID: 24881559 was the first fault where I complained about the drop in speed. I was asked to raise a circuit fault ID: 24898401
After being told BT do not class this issue as a fault though as they set a speed fault threshold rate(FTR) on each line and your line has a FTR of 1817k.
I would advise you to have a read through the information on the following support page as this will give you a good understanding of how MaxDSL works.
http://www.plus.net/suppo...guides/dslmax_guide.shtml

I gave up with PN support; I didn't seemed to be getting anywhere.
My view is that BT have done something at the exchange to force my line to work up to 2000 Kbps, my neighbour has also mentioned his line speed as dropped at well...
Perhaps I asking too much for a straight answer