cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download suddenly 1.2mbps and Plusnet happy with this speed!!

vikkistewart

Download suddenly 1.2mbps and Plusnet happy with this speed!!

Originally our broadband has been super. Easily able to stream live tv daily.
Then for the last week our download speed has been 0.2mbps. Plusnet advised that Openreach had banded our line, and Plusnet subsequently reset the line 2 days ago after I called them.
Today we are still at 0.2mbps and after contacting Plusnet again, the agent reset the line, giving us 1.2mbps. The agent then stated we are within the acceptable range for our broadband - unsure why 1.2 is an acceptable level of service.
We need a minimum of 1.8 to stream, and after just checking our line speed again we are averaging 1mbps. I'm paying for a service I'm not receiving and the last agent asked me to wait 10 days to see if the line averages out. Surely an average of 0.2 or 1.2mbps is not even 1mbps.
Can anyone help or advise, or do we just sit and wait it out?
7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Download suddenly 1.2mbps and Plusnet HAPPY with this speed!!

Welcome to the forums @vikkistewart

Without knowing any further details, only Plusnet staff, who don't usually frequent the forums on a Sunday, can answer that.

If you want other forum users to help you, we need a little bit more information. Have you looked at the ADSL speed faults post near the top of this forum board? If you could look at that, and supply as much as possible of the detail requested there, some of the more knowledgeable people on here could offer suggestions - possibly.

John
vikkistewart

Thanks for your response John, let me take a look and update my post accordingly.
jab1
Legend

Sorry @vikkistewart , I can't see any change in your first post.

If you follow the topic I mentioned, we should be able to see your router statistics, line speed &c.

This is is the topic I am referring to.:https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501

John
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Download suddenly 1.2mbps and Plusnet happy with this speed!!

Sorry to hear you are having issues.

The 10 days advised is due to your line being placed back into the training period after the line has been un-banded. This may cause fluctuations in speed.

Please continue to monitor the connection and if there is still an issue please let us know so we can investigate further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend

Re: Download suddenly 1.2mbps and Plusnet happy with this speed!!

@LaurenB Thanks for confirming one of my suspicions Smiley

@vikkistewart Please keep this thread up to date, and shout up if it continues to under-perform.

John
vikkistewart

Thanks for your help & suggestions, it's much appreciated.
I don't have an ethernet cable which is a pain, but every time I've accessed the BT Wholesale page it seems to be having an issue. Or is that my WiFi...
I'll wait the 10 days as suggested and see where we are.
jab1
Legend

@vikkistewart Did you get your router from Plusnet? - If you did, there would be cable with it. If you are using your own router, then I understand, cables do get  lost/misplaced over time.

The BTW page can be a bit temperamental at times, but that is nothing to do with using wi-fi, and it should respond most of the time.

Keep us up to date, but I can't personally guarantee I'll be here all the time, although I will try and pop in here as often as possible.

John