Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed up during 'open questions', down again when closed

mickthefitter
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Download speed up during 'open questions', down again when closed

What's 'borked'? An anagram of 'broked'?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Ask Urban Dictionary
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
cedlor
Grafter

In your last stats the upload SNM seems on the high side
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,7 / 6,3
In a previous test    (26/7)  it was 
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:  5,8 / 6,3
What is it now? after the re-start. 
mickthefitter
Rising Star

12th August 2015, 08:55am,
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 11 days, 20:31:37
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 396 / 8.520
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 376,25 / 3,87
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 20,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,2 / 45,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 15,9 / 6,6
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 43 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 5 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1.293 / 94
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 7.742 / 696.814
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 1.593
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 15.733

BT performance test results,

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6.99 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.99 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.52 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.25 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.25Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

The upload performance is as poor as ever, I'm afraid.
cedlor
Grafter

Hi - Your UP time is showing as 11 days so I dont think you did a disconnect.
I would try a graceful disconnect as the stats mostly look ok
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router.  ( I usually just click to restart instead of  a full powerdown unless I am moving something.)
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Okay. Well, I don't understand. I originally started my most recent posts following bad speeds while men were working on the road near my home, digging up cables. That was on the 26th of July. As I recall (and I haven't read every word I posted) I fitted a new surge protection block that feeds the router, after serious thunderstorms, and my upload speed went to 0.46mbps. That's fair to middling by my standards. I was then asked to post more stats after the men finished the work on the road, which went on for longer than expected. Around Sunday 9th August I posted some fresh stats and found my upload speed down to about 0.2mbps, which is poor. When I used to turn my router on and off at will, it was always 0.3mbps.
So that night, at 7pm on Sunday, as I believe I posted, I turned my DSL connection off for three minutes, then reconnected. I did not power down the router, as I previously believe I was told that wasn't necessary to reset the speeds. So the DSL connection was broken Sunday night AFTER the previous posted stats. The stats I've JUST posted, at the first chance I got, were read and copied yesterday, but AFTER the Sunday 9th August disconnection. So why the 'up time' shows as 11 days makes no sense to me as the damn connection was down for at least three minutes last Sunday night!
I believe it is supposed to be a bad idea doing it after dark? Which when I'm working, by the time I get on the computer in the evening, it is.
Digital technology. It does what it likes.  And makes me look like I've not learned anything and don't know what I'm talking about. Huh
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

When you click "Disconnect" in the router web interface, it does not disconnect the DSL connection to the exchange, but it does disconnect your Internet connection to Plusnet. The simplest thing to do is wait about 1 minute after clicking disconnect, then switch off the 582n. Ideally wait at least 30 minutes before switching it back on again, but if you don't want to wait that long, usually nothing terrible will happen if you switch it back on sooner, if you're only switching it off and on once per day.
You may get a slightly lower speed if you switch it on after dark compared to during the day, although on some lines, the difference is fairly minimal.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Oh right. So whether to power the router down or not is now an area of diverse opinion  Smiley
I'll do it after I've checked my emails now I'm online for a bit in the morning. Thanks.
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: mickthefitter
Oh right. So whether to power the router down or not is now an area of diverse opinion  Smiley

Not really diverse - I think most would agree once is unlikely to do any harm - as EJS said during the day  is the best time , sorry I did not mention that Embarrassed
It was mid morning when I posted, guess I thought you might get back to it before 7pm

mickthefitter
Rising Star

Okay. I've had the router 'off' for about an hour and a half - I was working outside in my garage. This was, of course, after doing a disconnection from the Gateway first.
Just done a speed check - wirelessly cos I've no time to start mucking around with cables this morning.
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6.9 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.9 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7.63 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.57 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.57Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

A vast improvement in my upload speed, I think you'll agree.
Other stats;
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:25:41
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 756 / 8.644
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3,21 / 33,67
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 20,4
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,3 / 45,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,5 / 5,9
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1.190 / 277
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Anyway, I now know that if my speeds deteriorate for no apparent good reason - which was highlighted to me several weeks ago by internet drop-outs while I was using it, and put down to maybe having something to do with the men digging up the road a few hundred yards away - that I should now completely power down the router, not just do a 'Gateway' DSL disconnection and reconnection, which has been suggested in the past was all I needed to do - and which sometimes has seemed to work. But not this time.  Roll_eyes
cedlor
Grafter

It is an improvement but I dont think its right yet. If it is working not too bad I would leave it a day or two to  settle down and see if it maintains
those SN  margin figures.  Post the stats again in a day or two so we can see how its doing and see how the error rate is doing.
When your working in the garage are you running any machines/motors for any length of time?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you are thinking the upstream speed of only 756k isn't right yet, I think that's just due to ADSL2+ on a TSTC line card, and it'll be about as good as you can get, there's not much that can be done about it. Similar to this post.
The downstream DSL line rate of 8644k is fairly good for the line attenuation.
mickthefitter
Rising Star

Smiley
Quote from: cedlor
It is an improvement but I dont think its right yet. If it is working not too bad I would leave it a day or two to  settle down and see if it maintains
those SN  margin figures.  Post the stats again in a day or two so we can see how its doing and see how the error rate is doing.
When your working in the garage are you running any machines/motors for any length of time?

No, I had a paint brush and a tin of touch up paint!  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Mick,
A few pointers to sort out confusion.
In different places, the TG572n reports 3 time durations - time since last power on / reboot - time since last resynch (in DSL stats) - time for current PPP session (Internet connection).
Depending on the xDSL stats (synch) speed can be improved by a 'graceful' restart of the router, as shown by your last restart.  Note the the SNRM returned to around 6dB (the difference suggests a small level of noise) from the previous 15.9dB which is a huge improvement, leading to a better synch speed.
For a given synch speed, data speeds can sometimes be improved by hopping plusnet gateways, which is achieved by dropping and reconnecting the PPP session WITHOUT re synching as you apparently did on Sunday - 11 days up time and same xDSL stats as previously reported clearly indicates that there was no interruption to synch and therefore no meaningful change in DATA speed test results.  Dropping PPP can also pick up a revised PN profile which would also improve DATA speeds.
As I've said on the forums before, when investigating 'speed' issues, these DATA speed tests can be unhelpful, the focus needs to be on xDSL stats, as if the xDSL speed is not optimal looking at data speed tests can a complete waste of time.  Get the xDSL stats right and data speed should follow.  If it does not, then investigations can then move on to areas other than the line between the router and exchange, such as IP profiles, wifi, interference and network congestion.
You did not report the plusnet current speed (link below) at the time you did the BT speed test.  When aligned, it should be 7.6Mbps; alignment can take a few hours.  When it happens, the PPP session should be dropped by plusnet and restarted by the router to activate the new data speed profile.  Sometimes that does not happen and a manual drop of PPP is required.
Hope that clarifies your understanding, rather than creating more confusion?
Quote from: cedlor
I would leave it a day or two to  settle down and see if it maintains those SN  margin figures.  Post the stats again in a day or two so we can see how its doing and see how the error rate is doing.

I'm not sure what you are expecting here.  Unless there is an event (a problem?) which causes a resynch, SYNCH speed will remain unchanged.  The suggestion to monitor SNRM is though very valid and (given that this is a TG582n router) that would be best done using RouterStats, for which there are download and configuration links below.  The 0.5dB variance within 25 minutes is worthy of inspection / monitoring if Mick wants to get every 'drop of speed' out of his line.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi all.
Kevin, cedlor's last comment/suggestion was a perfectly valid one, I don't understand why you are even questioning it.
Unless the stats in a day or two show anything "adverse", I don't see any point in further monitoring/inspection other than Mick's normal periodic checks that all "looks well". If you look back through all the stats posted, the 0.5db variation you commented on is "normal" for Mick's connection - I suspect it's a thermal related "feature" of Mick's 582n and has appeared to have had no adverse consequences.
Whilst there may be some relevance to the achievable US speed with the TSTC card, it's not relevant here. For comparison, it's the best speed that had been achieved when the connection was running well when all the previous issues had been resolved, and before Western Power Distribution were recently messing about with the power cables and the the recent OR issues with the Cab which is what appeared to cause the onset of the latest problem. The US speed on the latest stats posted seems to be about "correct".
Mick, it appears that all that now remains (in the absence of other obvious issues) is to post some more stats on a few days, just to check that the error figures are OK.
Quote from: mickthefitter

Not sure quite where/why you got that idea Mick, perhaps it'll be good to remind you of the last 2 paras.in my reply #41 about graceful disconnects and resyncs  Tongue  Wink