Packet Loss = unable to test.
Line Quality = Grade D* Concerning !!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Download speed from 6-7Mbps to just under 2Mbps :(

Quote from: Townman
Can you please gather and post the information requested on the speed issues post at the top of this forum.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BGG
Dabbler

Does this help Townman ?
Link Information

Uptime:
1 day, 6:45:08
DSL Type:
G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:
0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:
11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:
18.5 / 29.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:
27.0 / 11.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):
TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):
0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 26,570
CRC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 39
HEC Errors (Up/Down):
0 / 34
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.78 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi,
Yes it does help, but there is one bit of information missing - the current speed from the PlusNET portal.  This should be 7.15 Mbps.
Everything above looks as it should be - indeed the synch (DSL) speed is excellent, so one of the following must be true...
1. speed tests were done over wifi or with something else happening in the PC or home LAN
2. The PlusNET profile is not 7.15Mbps
3. There are issues internal to the BTw profile management systems (profile mismatches have been seen before)
4. There is exchange congestion
This issue needs CRT examination.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BGG
Dabbler

Ahhhh my mistake I think.
Yes it's on my MacBook that I did the tests through WiFi.
I did make sure my iPhone and iPad were switched off so nothing else was running.
My speeds have been fine until this last week, last two days I can't even watch a YouTube video Sad
BGG
Dabbler

What is a CRT examination ?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Customer Relations Team Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BGG,
I've taken a look over the account for you and it appears that the profile is set correctly on our side at 7150mbps. Given this I've run through a couple of faults tests and haven't been able to find anything else either as this is all showing what would be expected by way of speeds.
Given this, would you be able to confirm speed test results here via a wired ethernet connection directly to the router please?
BGG
Dabbler

Hi Adam,
I've just connected my MacBook direct to the router via ethernet and you are indeed correct, the speeds are fine that way.
The problem must be the WiFi 😕

PS, I'm only abut ten feet away from the router when using WiFi.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi BGG,
That's both good news and bad, at least we know where the issue sits but at the same time this means that the wireless speeds aren't great.
Wireless can be a temperamental beast at times and will never be as solid/reliable as a wired connection however there are a few things we can do in order to try and correct issues such as this. The first port of call would be to test the speeds on various wireless channels to see if this improves anything at all.
Wireless signals can sometimes suffer when there are other wireless devices in the near vicinity operating on the same wireless channel. As such it can be beneficial to change the channel to one that's a lot less crowded in the hopes of improving the throughput. A quick guide to doing this can be found here and it should be relatively straight forward to follow and change the channels around.
It will require you run a piece of software called SSIDer which allows you to scan for wireless devices and see which channels they're operating on, you should then be able to see which channels are quiet and change your router to this channel.

Failing any decent results from this option there are a host of home remedies that can help with boosting wireless signals, speeds and eradicating wireless dead spots around the home. A quick bit of Google-Fu and a spare afternoon should be able to help here!
Finally, some homes have internal construction or interference from external environmental factors that cause problems and it may be that there is little that can be done to improve the wireless signal short of splashing out money on a top of the range router or installing wireless range extenders.
Hopefully you'll be able to find a simple solution but please do let us know how you get on with it!