cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed dropped to half but Plusnet says that's OK

frogman
Grafter

Four weeks ago I had a new window fitted which involved some disturbance to the copper phone line coming into my flat. From that time my download speed has been 4.7mbps instead of the 10mbps I had been used to. This is OK for many purposes but I can no longer stream video. I've been through the usual tests - connection via the test socket, ethernet cable rather than WiFi and substitute microfilters. I've not been able to try an alternative router. When I go through the Plusnet procedure for checking my line I'm told that any speed from 4mbps to 21mbps is acceptable for my line and the ticket is closed. This is in spite of the fact that BT gives me an IP profile of over 11mbps and up until my phone line was disturbed I had been getting about 10mbps. What is the best way to proceed? It is almost certain that a BT engineer will have to repair the phone line at the point where it enters the house, but I understand that I am dependent on Plusnet contacting them regarding the fault.
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Download speed dropped to half but Plusnet says that's OK

Have we? I've checked your account and can see we've raised a fault today for you after you came through on web chat.
I have noticed straight away that it's an authentication fault but I can't see that we've been looking at any speed issues for you. Apologies if this was perhaps discussed over the phone or chat but not noted!
I can see from your connection logs that we did see attempts to connect coming through last night. However the router was presenting the wrong password. The last one we see recorded is at 19:32.
I'd advise logging into the router and updating the password to get reconnected first then reply back here so we can start to look into the speed issue.
Given what you've said about the changes to the line I have run a copper line test which passed showing no issues, as we don't provide the line this means we're not able to get detailed tests relating to the line itself so I;'d also advise doing a quiet line test by dialling 17070 in the meantime.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
frogman
Grafter

I've reconfigured the router with my internet connection password but still can't collect mail from my plusnet email account. Authenticartion has only been an issue since I change my password a couple of days ago. I suspect this may be a Mac Mail software issue.
The main problem is that my line speed dropped from 10mbps to 4.7mbps four weeks ago when the physical line was interfered with by window fitters. All I want is for BT to come and repair the cable. 4.7mbps may be acceptable for my line, but I've been accustomed to 10mbps for years and I can no longer stream video, so I feel I'm not getting the best out of my internet connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
as we don't provide the line

I think this probably means you will need to contact your phone provider to get the line fixed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
frogman
Grafter

I don't have a problem with the phone service - it's only the broadband speed that is affected.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

But PN will not be the people to repair a physical phone line that will your phone provider. You need to log a fault with them  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
frogman
Grafter

OK - thanks!
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Pleased to be of help
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
frogman
Grafter

Many thanks to Plusnet staff member Oliver Baxter for diagnosing an authentication problem with my router as the reason for my low speeds, and for re-configuring my router. The speed problem has been resolved and I'm back to 10mbs again! I'd convinced myself it was a fault in my physical phone line, and am very relieved that it wasn't. So here's at least one thank you on this board which seems to be so full of complaints.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

That seems rather odd!  Fixing a PPP (authentication) problem is not likely to address synch speed issues.
I can see how fixing and authentication issue would start a new PPP session which might apply a revised IP profile to the line, thereby changing the DATA transfer rate.  However whilst there was a PPP authentication issue, it would not be possible to determine the DATA transfer speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

frogman
Grafter

Strange but true ... I've just checked my download speed again and it's 11.69 mbps. I was down to 4.7 before the router reboot.