cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed below 0.5 but throughput 2.5Mbps

med777
Dabbler

Download speed below 0.5 but throughput 2.5Mbps

I have an ongoing ticket since 13/03/2016 which has slowly been getting better and seemed to improve quite a bit when exchange changed to 21CN. But since then it has all slowed down again.

I am at a loss now - Hub says DSL Line status -Downstream is 2.543Mbps.

BT Openreach speed test - download speed is 0.5Mbps and Ookla is registering Zero. (Also Ping latency has been over 600 this w/e.)

I have tried these test hard wired, wireless, into the main socket and on multiple devices individually, with nothing else connected to the home network - the results always come back the same.  Windows 10 auto updating is switched off. No Cloud activity. Even tried it all with virus protection switched off. And tried different browsers.

And getting NOWHERE with Support.

Help please !

19 REPLIES 19
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Download speed below 0.5 but throughput 2.5Mbps

Hi there.

If you can PM me your landline landline telephone number I'll be happy to check this out for you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As you've mentioned, testing the line isn't flagging up a problem.

Your router is in sync at just over 2.5mbps but it looks like your connection is dropping, because yesterday it was down at 0.4mbps and there's no signs of congestion at the exchange.

I can't investigate this as much as I'd like to, as I'm at home at the moment, but what's your current line speed showing at here? And do you experience speed problems using a different device too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
med777
Dabbler

BT speedtest download says 0.39Mbps and it makes no difference if it's my netbook or laptop or pc - all independently and hardwired

med777
Dabbler

SOrry... didn't click the HERE link... but have now -

Estimated line speed:
1Mb (This may vary between 1Mb and 2.5Mb) - Checked on 2017-06-21 14:04:10
Current line speed:
0.4 Mb

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for that. Sometimes the current line speed can cap your throughput/download speed but due to the way your connection is routed across our network since your regrade to 21cn, that shouldn’t happen.

With that said, I’d like to take a closer look when I’m back at work on Wednesday.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
med777
Dabbler

Cheers, much appreciated 🙂

Miriam

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@med777,

Is this resolved now?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

med777
Dabbler

As I had heard nothing from faults - I phoned last night and a very helpful lady told me that there were settings that had been changed but that they hadn't been correct. She made the changes there & then and immediately the download speed increased to 1.55Mbps.

I still feel that it is a big drop from the 2.888 that the Hub manager is showing but at least it is an improvement.

Thanks

Miriam

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Miriam,

I note that no one has welcomed you to the forums ... so here's a warm welcome to the forums.  Sometimes these issues can take a while to profile, but there is a good deal users can do for themselves to attempt to eliminate some usual suspects.  You might find the ADSL speed issues link below helpful, in the meantime if you are able to obtain the following information it will help non-Plusnet people to offer guidance.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Miriam. Thanks for waiting.

It looks like your connection was intermittent previously which would explain the speed drops you've had.

Testing your line is showing your router in sync at 2.8mbps which is below your estimates of 4.5mbps.

If your router is in the test socket I'd recommend heading on over to http://faults.plus.net as we'll need to push this through to our suppliers to further investigate.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
med777
Dabbler

Hiya and thanks for getting back to me.

After hurling huge amounts of screen shots on the open ticket of all the tests I had wasted my time running and no one getting back to me I finally called and got a  very helpful and 'something between her ears' lady. Apparent settings had been changed on my line which had not taken. She made the changes and immediately the download speed increased from 0.18 to 1.57.

I am still not very happy as I am sure it should perform at 2Mbps. But after 20 months of fighting, I'm losing the will......

It is a very long line - about 6K from the exchange  and a lot of it overhead & thru trees etc - so I'm not blind to the problems. So am I correct in thinking that is why the sync speed only being 2.88 is due to that ? The ticket # 121948316 - I don't know you have access to it.

Meantime, they have offered me 6 month free internet - which is only as good as the download speed & said they will refund for downtime. I have asked them what their criteria is for 'downtime' - having a connection at 0.18 is connected, but unusable.

Thanks again

Miriam

med777
Dabbler

Hiya and thank you for the Welcome !

I have an ticket which was opened on 13 march 2016 - so it has been going for a very long time.

In that time, many of the things you have suggested have been covered  but some are new to me so will keep this for reference.

The current issue was down to Plusnet, settings were changed but not applied or they didn't take.

At present, Im keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath !

Thanks again

Miriam

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

Plusnet are saying the line synch is below expectations so there might be room for improvement. Can you please respond to Gandalf’s question - is the router connected to the master socket?

med777
Dabbler

Hiya,

Yes it is in the master socket and I have also tried direct to the test socket.

It's a Master Socket 5C MK4. and openreach rewired it so I have separate telephony wiring.

Miriam