Did you mean: 

Download fault

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Download fault

Quote from: Lorenzo48
Thanks, if you post me yours I'll try that as well. See post 1  Wink

Fine, just make sure you courier it back to me the same day.
I know you have tried several routers but it struck me that the symptoms seemed like a router problem.  So maybe it is the closest equivalent, a problem with the line card in the telephone exchange? 
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Yes I agree and initially what I suspected, it may still be a router problem of course, I am willing to be shown incorrect if it fixes the issue, but I do feel I have done sufficient testing my end to rule it out and have some proper testing done on the line. If that turns up negative I guess I'll have to try yet another router just in case.
For testing I used the D-Link 320 (i think) modem supplied by Plus 2 years ago and a new Draytek Vigor. The router that Died was a D-Link (420 I think) 2 years old. It bascially lost all power, this may have - as it died upset my connection?
It just occurred to me looking on kitz that they are building some new houses about half way between me and the exchange ...........
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As you've tried two different modems / routers, the last thing to test is to connect one to the test socket, with a different filter if you haven't already done so? I've raised this fault to our suppliers and as soon as we check the line as I've described, we can book an engineer.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Ben, thank, just got the SMS.
Let me go home later and double check everything and put another filter on as you've noticed disconnects still.
Got 2 brand new d-link filters so can go get one out the loft  Smiley
Previous filters were a generic one and an ADSL Extreme (I think)
Do you need me to diasble any firewalls again?
I'll update the ticket tonight with a time relating to tonight.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No changes to firewall needed, just let us know the time when the router's in the test socket and (ideally) the time you take it out (if you have to take it our, we'd prefer you to leave it there) and we can pick up the investigation from there.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

All done, ticket will say
Disconnected at 5:45 ish
In master socket - new filter - online 5:55 ish
Will leave it in place.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cool, we'll need at least 24 - 48 hours monitoring and will keep you updated on the ticket.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Thanks Ben, will probably be left in there for the next week as I am going away.
If I don't hear anything I'll drop you a line when I get back and will try and answer any tickets via blackberry but not sure if I'll have a signal.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK, I'm in as of Tuesday but one of the other Digi Care guys can pick this up for you on Monday if needs be.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Back off hols with same problem in evidence, did a windows update then it after a couple more downloads (getting confident) it fell over. In desperation got hold of a really old Netgear DG834 and the problem seemed to have gone.
Did some more digging and found out the new Dreytek has a firware issue where it MAY limit via QOS even when it is disabled like I have done.
TELNET'd in and set rx and tx to 100 and did an adsl reboot and it seems to have fixed it..............congrats to the above poster who suggested router problem.  Cool

Password: ********
Type ? for command help
> show adsl
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            :    G.DMT      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  5792000 bps  US Actual Rate      :  448000 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      :  5792000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  1148000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode        :        Fast
  DS Interleave Depth    :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :      37 dB    Cur SNR Margin      :      14  dB
  DS actual PSD          :    19. 8 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 0  dB
  ADSL Firmware Version  : 232201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :      21 dB    Far SNR Margin      :      24  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00005000      CO ITU Version[1]    : 00000000
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < CTLM >
> adsl stat
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            :    G.DMT      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  5792000 bps  US Actual Rate      :  448000 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      :  5792000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  1148000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode        :        Fast
  DS Interleave Depth    :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :      37 dB    Cur SNR Margin      :      14  dB
  DS actual PSD          :    19. 8 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 0  dB
  ADSL Firmware Version  : 232201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :      21 dB    Far SNR Margin      :      24  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00005000      CO ITU Version[1]    : 00000000
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < CTLM >
>
Read of issues with TI DSLAMs and vigor so ran this and seems to be not TI?
Anyway, to cut a long story short I am going to monitor for a few days rather arranging an engineer as the line tests were all good.
I don't understand why my Dlink modem gave similar issues to the Dreytek router though?

Questions:
1. Is my US being throttled?
2. Has interleaving been switched back on?
..................Does it really need to be this difficult to get a connection with off the shelf hardware?  Grin
Ben could you monitor the line for 24 hours for me? I am going to stream lots of vids and download some big files to see what happens.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

damn - still dropping. Will try Netgear for 24 hours  Sad
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Netgear live for 5.35 hours, looking good. Got a support request into Draytek  Roll_eyes
£120 router that can't stay connected?  Cry
Thanks for your help so far Ben, will try and update you and the ticket with the resolution in case you get anymore draytek issues.
Still bugging me that the DSL Modem had a similar issue...........chances of a 2 brand new items having a fault?  Roll_eyes
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Is that with the same filter, and with everything else on the phone line plugged in?
If so it might be worth switching filters out, particularly if there's anything in the premises adding interference. Try unplugging items one at a time and see if things stabilise, if so whatever it is might need double filtering or a different filter on it?
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Hmmmm interesting suggestion although I was getting disconnects when in the master socket and tried about 4 filters and 3 routers now. As I said though the Netgear seems to be coping yet is the oldest and least loved having been sat in a damp loft for 2 years and it works like a charm.  Crazy
I have a wirless fax/printer and one phone base unit.
Phone goes into printer then the printer goes into the filter............so I suppose two unit are passing via one filter although only one or the other can be in used at anytime.
Is that wrong and do I double filter by putting them together with the DSl into the one nearest the wall?
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Netgear dropped once in 24hrs. Checked website and there is an upgrade to fix "disconnects with certain ISPs after 24 hours"
It's never ending....................
Will have to disconnect and re-fit the dreytek to send screenshots to dreytek uk as they don't believe me and said the firmware i have is not released yet  Roll_eyes Maybe I have a foreign market router with incompatible firmware? We shall see.