cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download fault

Lorenzo48
Grafter

Download fault

As I am stuck in the groundhog loop of copy and pasted replies on the ticket system I'd thought I'd post up here and get some second opinions on the fault.
Please assume I have done the usual master sockets, different router blah blah because I have tried everything in the list of "things to do before raising a ticket"
This occurs on 2 pc's a laptop and PS3 won't update.
BTSpeedtester won't work as it ALWAYS freezes on exactly 96% and I think this might tell me something?
I cannot download any large files, it always freezes around the 4meg point.
I go on do a speedtest (just online not bt) and get 3.5 meg say and a good ping, go to download a file and it freezes.
Sometimes speed is down to 250kbs and ping over 500 but usually speed registers ok until I stress the line with a large download.
This is only 4-5 months since my last fault which took months to get sorted  Cry
36 REPLIES 36
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Download fault

Quote from: Lorenzo48
Please assume I have done the usual master sockets, different router blah blah because I have tried everything in the list of "things to do before raising a ticket"

I don't know if this is on the list but an obvious thing to try is to take one of your laptops to an internet cafe or a friends house and try downloading something there.  If you succeed it would prove that the fault is something to do with your domestic circumstances/phone line and not just a problem (like a computer virus) that is common to all your computers. 
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Definitely try your computer elsewhere.
FYI, BT Speedtester freezing at 96/98% is a Java error, you'll need to reinstall it.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Thanks Ben,
Did not get that info off the ticket even though I asked.
Of course, I could not download the java update though. This is the problem with BB faults, you cannot access what you need to diagnose and fix. Managed it now after a few days and completed the speedtester ..............and got 0kpbs.  Cry
It's not a virus as the one computer was taken out of long term storage to test also Wii and PS3 and IPOD cannot download. Internet cafe? Where I live download means getting wood off the truck  Grin
Note I can browse (slowly - like dial up but slower) but cannot download a thing.
It's now with the faults team, perhaps it was my error raising it with customer services first?
My last plusnet fault took 3 months to fix. Only fixed after requesting my MAC code then it was resolved almost overnight.  Undecided
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It looks like the line is experiencing very frequent disconnections so that might explain the 0kbps download result. Rather than assuming you've done the relevant checks, can you update your ticket to say whether or not you have tested an alternate router into the test socket with an alternate filter. If you've done this then we can push it through to an engineer visit.
grahamt
Rising Star

Hmm. I've also just got the BT Speedtester 'freezing at 96%' error. Never had that before, and I haven't changed anything with Java recently.
(I do have a Java issue in that I can't get Java to run with Firefox 3.6 - under XP. Until I get a new PC later this year I'm sticking with FF3.5, which does work - or at least I thought it did until now. It works with all other Java applications I use.)
Anyway, given that the only reliable thing about the BT Speedtester is that it tells you your BT IP profile, and I can see that before the speedtester freezes, I'm not going to worry too much.
[Edit: ran the test again and it completed.]
Graham
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
It looks like the line is experiencing very frequent disconnections so that might explain the 0kbps download result. Rather than assuming you've done the relevant checks, can you update your ticket to say whether or not you have tested an alternate router into the test socket with an alternate filter. If you've done this then we can push it through to an engineer visit.

I tested it with a D-Link DSL Modem to rule out ANY WAN interference and with my new router, as I said in the ticket my last router failed and may have CAUSED the current issue.
I have also tried different filters.
I even switched off my network card and tried both ethernet ports on the motherboard where the cable now sits.
Ben, I did list most of this in the tickets, not sure if you can see both of them?
However your help is much appreciated and I am happy to answer any questions.
It's a bit of a pain as the master socket has no mains electric nearby.

I am however going on holiday soon so it will be no problem to wire it up on an extension lead and leave it for a week, provided the one disconnect when I get home to move it won't upset the balance.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We will only tend to look at internal checks performed in the past week or so, anything done before then loses it's relevance. Please update your equipment when the router is in the master socket and we'll monitor it from there.
FYI, we automatically see all tickets opened in the past two years and can retrieve older tickets, if required.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Ok, I'll stick in the master socket tonight and reply the the ticket and here.
Will try and route the cable so it doesn't trip my wife over and .................. hang on a minute  Grin
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Ok please run test again.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cool, I've updated your ticket, it's not testing as such, it's monitoring your line for further disconnections. The Faults Team will be in touch as soon as we have further information.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Thanks,
obviosuly disconnected last night to move it. Got a good connection so thought I'd download my window's updates.
Flew through the first 11MB so I thought yey it's working again, then next part was 4MB and it got to 2.6 and the whole connection froze.
Router claimed to be still connected to DSl but I could not get any activity.
It does seem as though if I stress the line it falls over.  Undecided
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Seems to me if you stress the router it falls over.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your connection dropped a number of times overnight so this needs full manual testing for an intermittent connection fault, the Faults Team will be in touch as soon as that's done to let you know the outcome and next steps from here.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
Seems to me if you stress the router it falls over.

Thanks, if you post me yours I'll try that as well. See post 1  Wink
A router did indeed fail and is now no doubt on it's way to a thrid world country to be dismantled by children, and since then I've tried 2 brand new ones.