Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed

topham1
Grafter

Re: Download Speed

Evening,
I have raised a fault and these stats have been posted back what does this tell me?
Also are  FEC  errors good or bad? I have read it is good and means the interleaving is working
Yesterday I had:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 28,846
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 84
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 74
Today:
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4,743

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 18
Cheers
Cece

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The answer to your question about errors is, it will depend over what period of time are we talking? Today's figure look ok but are probably over a shorter period. Whilst that number of errors could be desireably lower, I wouldn't have thought it was directly anything to worry about at this point.
I get the impression you are switching your router on&off each day. It may be better to leave it on 24/7 until we can assess what is going on.
It will be better to sync up in daytime at least an hour after sunrise and no later than an hour before sunset. Noise levels are generally lower in daylight and you may achieve a better sync speed. Please note that too many resync in a short period of time makes the exchange DLM think you have a problem and will raise the Target SNRM which will result in a lower sync speed.
Unfortunately it looks as though you may have a lot of noise on your line, but this could be due to a number of problems. Your DS attenuation suggests your line length to the exchange is about 3.5Km. which is not that close. With a Target SNRM of 15dB which you may have at this stage, you'll be lucky to get a sync speed much better than that 3776 you reported initially.
The spikes on the graphs you posted in reply #25 look as though those may be a router polling issue (ie the router is busy doing something else when queried for the data - do you use wireless or ethernet?). When posting such graphs, if you can post the SNRM graph for the period immediately after the Sync one, rather than all the sync's and then all the Noise Margins This will make it easier to interpret.
You notice the dip in the sync graph is exactly the same instant as the Noise Margin, but there is no change in sync speed (so you haven't lost sync). I'd suggest you change your RouterStats Sample rate to 8 seconds and the Number of points per graph to 900 (that'll give you 2 hrs per graph) and make sure it is set to Capture 'Always'. So whilst RouterStats is running it will automatically save every 2hrs.
Do you have any extension wiring and sockets? If so, briefly describe your setup. (If the Bell wire is still connected, this may have been the source of your problems). Stay plugged into the test socket for the time being.
topham1
Grafter

Anotherone,
What do you mean by Do you have any extension wiring and sockets and what is bell wire?
I will reset my graph capture and post tomorrow
Many Thanks
Cece
Anotherone
Champion

Do you have any other fixed sockets into which you can plug phones etc.? If you have, none of them should be working whilst you are plugged into the test socket. Removing the front plate of the master socket would disconnect any correctly wired extensions, Is there any wiring attached to that front plate? If you have any, the bell wire is what may be connected to terminal 3 (and it's mate on 4).
topham1
Grafter

Morning,
There is only one socket to plug into which is where the router is plugged into the test socket. Also there is no wiring attached to the front plate.
Terminal 3 what is this?
Also I don't even have the phone plugged in as i don't use it.
I have managed to connect to DMT using bigbens suggestion, I will post stats in abit.
Here are my router stats this morning and bt test which show my download speed is still very slow.
I have noticed this morning that my wireless mouse is playing up could this effect my router?
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 15:45:01

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,776

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 49.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 15.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 79 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 13 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 17 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 15,218

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 59

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 47
topham1
Grafter

Attached are my DMT results doesn't look like there is to much going on.
Cheers
Cece
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Cece,
Firstly, leave your router powered up 24/7 for the time being, don't do any resync's, let's see if that 3776 sync rate can be maintained
Does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed still show your profile as 3000? If it doesn't, and doesn't by tomorrow, we'll need to get someone from PN to give it a kick (assuming you haven't synced at below 3424 in the meantime!).
As you haven't got any extension wiring/sockets, unless you are technically minded, I wouldn't worry about the bell wire, but FYI if you look at the back of the detached faceplate you should see some IDC terminals numbered 2,3,4,5. In a broadband scenario only terminals 2 & 5 should be wired up for extensions. If you are technically minded and would like some further information, I could post you a few links.
You haven't said whether you are using wireless or ethernet. If wireless, low signal or interference will affect your throughput. Try running http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ to see what results that is giving (forget BT speedtester at the moment, we've got all the information that can provide at the moment).
If you are using wireless, 2 things - a make sure you're using the highest security encryption and have set a passphrase - not a straight word - put a number or 2 in it and if you've not got a good signal try changing channel.
For the purpose of testing, best to connect using an ethernet cable, if it's inconvenient to move the computer to the router, get a suitable length of ethernet cable (cat5e or higher standard - complete with plugs either end of course). When set up (also if not using the wireless) turn the wireless off so that no-one can hack in.
The other thing that can affect throughput (bearing in mind your profile is correct and consistent with the sync speed) is exchange and network congestion/problems. Check your exchange VP status using http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
With regard you latest stats/plots, first thing  Did you/have you got RouterStats running as well, if so can you post the Noise Margin graph that covers the time 1105 -1115.
Secondly, on the DMT plot, unfortunately there is quite a nasty spike there at about 1112, it was sufficiently severe to change the scale of the plot to 0,40,80 (normally 0,5,10). That scale will also make the rest of the graph look flat! This could be due to an intermittent line connection, or possibly far less likely the router was busy.
It may be an idea to leave a corded phone plugged into the filter for the time being, then if you spot any anomalies on the noise graphs, you can have a listen to the line. So that this may help in the future, who do you pay for your phone line rental?
FEC errors show that error correction is taking place, but too many will slow throughput, but I don't believe yours are high enough to be the cause of the current low throughput.
There is the possibility you may be in a rather noisy environment from a Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) point of view, can you briefly describe whether you are in an urban or rural area and if there is any (semi-) industrial things nearby. Don't give away any personal or location information.
topham1
Grafter

Afternoon Anotherone,
I will leave my router switched on 24/7  is this best practice going forward your previous note mention syncing  in daytime at least an hour after sunrise and no later than an hour before sunset . saying this I am happy with 3776 sync rate just not sure why the throughput is so low portal.plus now show my profile as
Current line speed:
I will keep an eye on my sync and check again tomorrow.
I am using wireless my router is a Thomson TG585 v7 (0843TFGZE) supplied by PN.
When I set up my router it automaticaly set up a security encryption which is a mixture of letters and numbers I have also set up a password to access my router stats and my network shows as secure.
I am using a laptop so I will connect using ethernet cable while testing, Will this re sync my router?
I do regular checks using my broadbandspeeds see attached.
I have checked my exchange using my tools and it says Results: St Barnabas Code: EMSTBBS
County: Leicestershire
Enabled: 31 Mar 2001
Market: 3 
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green. I Live 1.5 miles away from the exchange however my line is longer.
Unfortunatly i didn't have RouterStats running as well, next time i will run both. I pay BT for my line rental, I have done several quite line test but don't hear any noise, however I will keep a check on this.
I live in a newish estate about 10 years old, however over the last year there as been alot of housing built nearby, also there is a small semi-) industrial things nearby less than half a mile away but it is very small.
Many Thanks for your help.
Cece

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 49.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 15.5

topham1
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Hi Cece,
Firstly, leave your router powered up 24/7 for the time being, don't do any resync's, let's see if that 3776 sync rate can be maintained
Does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed still show your profile as 3000? If it doesn't, and doesn't by tomorrow, we'll need to get someone from PN to give it a kick (assuming you haven't synced at below 3424 in the meantime!).
As you haven't got any extension wiring/sockets, unless you are technically minded, I wouldn't worry about the bell wire, but FYI if you look at the back of the detached faceplate you should see some IDC terminals numbered 2,3,4,5. In a broadband scenario only terminals 2 & 5 should be wired up for extensions. If you are technically minded and would like some further information, I could post you a few links.
You haven't said whether you are using wireless or ethernet. If wireless, low signal or interference will affect your throughput. Try running http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ to see what results that is giving (forget BT speedtester at the moment, we've got all the information that can provide at the moment).
If you are using wireless, 2 things - a make sure you're using the highest security encryption and have set a passphrase - not a straight word - put a number or 2 in it and if you've not got a good signal try changing channel.
For the purpose of testing, best to connect using an ethernet cable, if it's inconvenient to move the computer to the router, get a suitable length of ethernet cable (cat5e or higher standard - complete with plugs either end of course). When set up (also if not using the wireless) turn the wireless off so that no-one can hack in.
The other thing that can affect throughput (bearing in mind your profile is correct and consistent with the sync speed) is exchange and network congestion/problems. Check your exchange VP status using http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
With regard you latest stats/plots, first thing  Did you/have you got RouterStats running as well, if so can you post the Noise Margin graph that covers the time 1105 -1115.
Secondly, on the DMT plot, unfortunately there is quite a nasty spike there at about 1112, it was sufficiently severe to change the scale of the plot to 0,40,80 (normally 0,5,10). That scale will also make the rest of the graph look flat! This could be due to an intermittent line connection, or possibly far less likely the router was busy.
It may be an idea to leave a corded phone plugged into the filter for the time being, then if you spot any anomalies on the noise graphs, you can have a listen to the line. So that this may help in the future, who do you pay for your phone line rental?
FEC errors show that error correction is taking place, but too many will slow throughput, but I don't believe yours are high enough to be the cause of the current low throughput.
There is the possibility you may be in a rather noisy environment from a Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) point of view, can you briefly describe whether you are in an urban or rural area and if there is any (semi-) industrial things nearby. Don't give away any personal or location information.

How do I connnect using ethernet cable? I plugged in my cable then disabled my wireless however I got no network found, then i could'nt logged into the router!! i had to reset it in the end to get back online which is not good, managed to sync back 3744 which isn't to bad, anyway i'm still connected via wireless?
Cece
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, not a good idea to do it like that. You need to established another connection exists before turning off the wireless. Did you not get anything pop-up telling you another network had been found when you plugged in the ethernet cable?
You likely need to go to the Networks Connection Icon in the Control Panel. None of this should cause/or need a router re-boot, you're lucky with the sync speed, at least your BT profile won't drop.
As regards your PN profile you must have had a low sync event recently for that to be down. As I said earlier, it should be up later.
As I'm not familiar with your Thomson Router, I can't be certain of the best way to go about it, but it will help to know which Operating System you are using on your laptop. I'll see if I can point an expert on this router in your direction.
Edit:  What Virus Checker and Firewall are you using?
topham1
Grafter

Nothing popped up when i plugged in the ethernet cable I am using windows vista. Virus i am using AVG and windows firewall.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

In vista can you go to control panel > network and internet > network connections.
You should an ethernet connection, might say LAN connection.
Does it say enabled or disabled?
If it is disabled can you do a right click and enable and then plug the cable back in.
Let us know if this works.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
topham1
Grafter

Quick question I am now connected using ethernet cable should i set the network setting to public or private?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

In your home environment set it to private.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Cece,
Hope that's now sorted OK, what's your latest line stats like (sync, atten, noise, pwr)? Did the member centre profile go up?