cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed stuck

mhb
Dabbler

Download Speed stuck

Following a long spell of stable connection at 5120kbps giving profile of 4500kbps and a consequential download speed of approx. 42500kbps, overnight I find I have auto resynced several times with an increase in sync but with a read download speed of only 1900kbps. Furthermore the BT speedtester will no longer allow me to carry out the enhanced diagnostics. A call to support reveals a correct 4.5 profile and shows up no line faults nor reason for this situation. The only change I can see is that I am now connected through pci-ago1 rather than ag03 as was the case before the resyncs. Support have now raised a fault for me.
Anyone else with problems since plusnet overnight maintenance?
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Download Speed stuck

Hi,
Sorry to hear about the speed issue, you've definitely done the right thing by raising a fault though. However I would seriously doubt that any overnight maintenance could be causing that for you.
If you're in any doubt of that try rebooting and seeing which gateway you're connected to, I would expect you to see any difference in speeds.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mhb
Dabbler

Hi, I really would appreciate my problem being looked at by you (or any other Plusnet rep on this forum) as on the telephone I seem to be getting nowhere in terms of convincing the last rep spoken to of the nature of my problem. As I see it (now that I can again get results from the BT speedchecker full diagnostics) BT system has wrongly set my profile to 2Mbps, holding my actual download speed to 1.95Mbps approx., when according to my monitoring software I have never resynced lower than 5120kbps which ought to still be giving a 4.5Mbps. Unfortunately Plusnets own system is showing the profile still at 4.5Mbps and they do not seem to believe that this is not in accord with BT's system. Maybe I have just been unlucky with the final rep I spoke to which is why I would like someone else from Plusnet to look at the problem asap otherwise when my problem does finally get to the head of the pile, it is not going to be seen for what it is. i.e. a BT system hiccup.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I believe the correct terminology is that you have a "stuck bRAS profile".  I don't know how 'bRAS' is pronounced but if you convey this to the tech support rep. they should be able to take the appropriate action to get it fixed.  Or you can wait until someone from Plusnet covering the forum picks this up. 
mhb
Dabbler

No, I do not think so. It is more than a stuck BRAS as in my case the BRAS (profile) is not necessarily stuck (It is too early in the 3 day cycle to say this yet). The problem is that, according to my monitoring software, it ought never to have been set at this level in the first place as the sync rate has never fallen to less than 5120kbps which is the level which first sets a profile of 4.5Mbps.
I now believe that somehow in the process of BT correcting some other line fault  it has had the unfortunate side effect of resetting my profile.
BryanP
Grafter

Don't want to hi-jack this thread but I would be very interested in the solution for this problem as I have the same problem
mhb
Dabbler

No problem, the more the merrier.
mhb
Dabbler

Looks like my hunch was right, just received the following from Plusnet.
'I've tested your line and can see that our suppliers have recently moved your connection to a less busy part of the exchange. On looking into this more however, I can see that not all of the settings for your line were set up, leaving your line with the default 2Mbps speed restriction settings. I've arranged for the line to be reset to try and correct this.'
Here's hoping!
BryanP
Grafter

Nice to see that your problem is now sorted
It occurs to me that problems posted on the forum get sorted a hell of a lot quicker than if you go through the problem assist and raise a ticket
This is not an observation of this thread but a number of other threads as well which I have been monitoring
PS I still have a slow speed problem after raising 2 tickets now a few weeks old
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@mhb
I'm glad to see our faults team have responded. I hope things improve soon for you due to what's been mentioned on your ticket.
@BryanP
It just looks like our faults team need you to respond with some info on ticket 65069366.
Keep us posted both of you! Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
BryanP
Grafter

I have responded to the ticket, perhaps you can have a look at it
mhb
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, Yes my speed is now back and seems to be working well.