Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed Super Low - Bath, UK

FIXED
fxnxly0

Download Speed Super Low - Bath, UK

Hi

I'm a new user of about 2 months with ADSL broadband.

In the last couple days my download speed has completely dropped from around from around 16mpbs to 0.3-2 mbps , with persistent disconnection issues. I have made sure my desktop pc is the only mac address connected to the router and not through WIFI but through ethernet. My upload speed and ping is fine it's just the download speed. I have tried resetting the router and that has made no difference. I'm not sure what to do next, I have read online about using the telephone to do a line test for noise, however I've never had a phone connected or have one available to use at the moment. Everything has been perfect with Plusnet since joining until now, I just wanted to see if there was anything that could be done to fix it so I can be back up and running as soon as possible.

5 REPLIES 5
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Download Speed Super Low - Bath, UK

Hello,

Is your router plugged into the master telephone socket? Try using the test socket: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Check your speed after and if there’s no change to where you’d expect the speed, raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net

This will create a fault ticket and get you into the queue for Plusnet to investigate further.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@fxnxly0  Welcome to the forums. Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501 post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

I appreciate you say you don't have a phone, but a cheap handset (available from the likes of Argos for about £5) is an essential tool for self-help in this situation.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Regardless of a need or intention to make phone calls, having a telephone handset is an essential diagnostic tool.  Without one, you are not capable of determining if there is an issue within Plain Old Telephone Systems (POTS)...

• Is there a dial tone
  • Is there noise on the line
  • Is the line your line

If there is no dial tone or there is noise on the line, broadband can still limp along ... much like the symptoms you report.

If due to wear and tear or engineering works in the local cabinet your circuit comes in to contact with another, you might have a crossed line and be getting interference from or causing interference to another circuit.

There is a slim possibility of identifying a POTS line issue without a handset by ringing your phone line number to see if...

1. You get unobtainable tone
  2. It rings out
  3. The broadband improves

The first clearly points to a line fault, the second will be inconclusive and the third points to a bad joint in the circuit.  To speed things up here, you need a handset.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

daber8

We are exactly the same and live in Bath. Been fine until Sunday 27th when download speeds were at an unusable level during the day. I have got up in the middle of the night and tested speed and works fine back to 16MB download between 2am and 8am. At other times download 1MB to 3MB. Upload remained unchanged. I have called this in to Plusnet but they are still looking at this. we have plugged into their test socket. Originally said noise on line - but why OK overnight. I have turned off every device in the house and still speed is low. The router is new. We have swapped our ethernet cables - nothing works. Any progress will let you know and likewise if you get to the bottom of this please advise. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Fix

There are some hints of a common issue in the Bristol and Bath area - https://istheservicedown.co.uk/status/bt-british-telecom/2654675-bristol-bristol-england-united-king...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.