cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DownStream Connection Speed dropped to 512 kbps

Geeman
Dabbler

DownStream Connection Speed dropped to 512 kbps

firstly let me say that apart from a couple of glitches, plusnet have provided a great broadband service.  Much better than previous suppliers ive had, one the whole its been great.
From my post title you can guess im going to moan about my connection.  Bascially want to check there is nothing else I should be doing other than waiting?
Run a test on BT site and found my IP profile to be loooooow.  Presumably there has been some kind of fault on my line (this has happened in the past).  Can a mod check me for connection dropouts etc?  And just confirm that if I wait the situation will (should) right itself?
Cheers
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: DownStream Connection Speed dropped to 512 kbps

Mods can't help as they are just customers but if you post the information requested here we will have a better idea http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Geeman
Dabbler

Hello.  Thank you for responding.  Hopefully this info is of use:
System Up Time 816:17:36
Port               Status     TxPkts     RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN       PPPoA     899422     1033920     0               344     2611   90:49:19
LAN       10M/100M    29160028    20203733    0               1276 1264     816:17:32
WLAN       11M/54M 1294647     1265476     0               478       49     816:17:27
ADSL Link                 Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed   512 kbps         448 kbps
Line Attenuation           43.0 db         21.5 db
Noise Margin           31.4 db         19.0 db

Speedtest Results
Results

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.23 Mbps

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :0.51 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.35 Mbps

Does this info suggest what the problem may be?
Cheers
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Your Downstream 'Noise Margin'  is at 31.4dB which is VERY, VERY high. That is the reason for your slow downstream speed.
Have you tried running the router through the test socket to see if the margin comes down? See here (http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml) for details.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A few educated guesses -
You aren't on 21CN ADSL because if you were the BT speedtest would check the upload speed/profile
As you aren't on 21CN then it is very doubtful that you have a banded connection
As your downstream is 512kbps with a very high noise margin the odds are that you have been provisioned on a fixed speed 512kbps service and haven't been moved to either MaxDSL on 20CN or ADSL2+ on 21CN
Your IP profile is what I would expect from 20CN but I wasn't aware that it was calculated that way on a fixed speed connection
I suggest waiting for this to be picked up on Monday by the Digital; Care Team who should be able to sort it
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the fixed speed product would have a sync speed of 576k down and 288k up.
Is it possible that there was a one-off event about 4 days ago that caused your ADSL to reconnect at the very low speed, and you haven't rebooted your modem/router since?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I think you are correct - a resync is obviously worth a try
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Do this and then if that makes no difference, try the router in the test socket.
jim:quote
Geeman
Dabbler

Thank you for all the advice.
Rebooted the router and have achieved, what is for me. an acceptable connection speed.  Just need the IP profile to sort itself out now.

Connection Speed 4096 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation       42.0 db 21.5 db
Noise Margin       12.3 db 20.0 db
BT TEST
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.05 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4.1 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.35 Mbps
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That will take a while
In the meantime a couple of questions
Putting your post code or phone number in here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ does it say anything about WBC on 21CN
Are you aware of any significant number of disconnections as your default noise margin has increased from 6dB to 12dB
As a matter of interest what does this say about current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Geeman
Dabbler

hi
cheers again for the response.  im not aware of any disconnections (doesnt mean they havent happened).  Router gets left on 24/7.

Code: WSKGE
County: Dumfries & Galloway
Enabled: 11 May 2005
Market: 1
Mkt2014: A
Colour: Green 20CN VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
Colour: Red BT have not advised a planned date for WBC on 21CN
Colour: Unknown You can view recent Service Outages for this exchange here
Colour: Unknown BT have published Max DSL upgrade information for this exchange
Click here for further details

Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
Geeman
Dabbler

presume though i just need to wait .... about a week for it to recover?  no quicker fix?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

ideally it should sort itself out in 24 hours but could take up to 3 days and it can't be speeded up
Geeman
Dabbler

Cheers again oldjim.  It's times like these you realise how decent broadband  speeds are taken for granted. By gum it's painful going back to dial up speeds  Cry
lotrjw
Grafter

Dial up was 10% or less than what you were getting! but I do appreciate what you say re slow speeds and taking fast speeds for granted!
The big problem is software and data keeps getting bigger, so what was a good speed say 5 years ago is already too slow for standard browsing! or if its not it soon will be.
The fact that TV is now accessible via the internet and the idea that in the future that TV will just be internet based, BT and the government need to get a move on to get FTTP/H out in the next few years, so that it will be possible! This doesnt even take into account that some TV services like youview and BBC connected red button are only IPTV based now as well!
So yes we do need to appreciate where we have come, but also realise why faster speeds are now needed!
I see a world where one day we will all have an FTTP/H connection and out of the point that it comes in, one connection will out will be to a router, one to a VOIP phone and another to your TV or set top box. Each point will be charged as a separate service and will be able to be ordered separately. There will be no copper phone lines and no TV aerials or dishes! Its just very unfortunate that getting the FTTP/H lines in in the first place costs so much, as once in its only dependent on what the termination device can handle and that could be upgraded at little cost compared with laying the fibre lines in the first place! One day.