cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't know what to do other than raise a support ticket...

xist
Grafter

Don't know what to do other than raise a support ticket...

So i thought rather than immediately waste those helpful guys time i'd make an appeal here first. This is a long and somewhat drawn out tale but i'd rather paint the big picture and you can skip bits as necessary...
First a few details....I have a BT Voyager 2100 dating back from July 2005 when i first joined Plusnet. It's plugged into an ADSLNation XF-1e Microfilter which in turn is connected directly into the Master Socket. My line also has interleaving activated.....(i've had previous issues.....)
Back in July and the preceding months i had a stable 8096 sync with a 9.0 db margin, which given the interleaving saying this was rare, i was very happy with. Around July 23rd my sync dropped for no apparent reason, and in a bid to fix this for me a well intentioned, but not very well read, brother rebooted it several times popping the margin back up to 15db. My Sync didn't return to 8096 but was around 6000 to 6500 i think....i thought that the increased target margin might have been the cause but thought if i was lucky it'd be a month or so before i had things back to normal. Well i think my target margin had dropped one 3db bracket but i was still waiting for a drop to 9. That was last week. However over the weekend i had a power problem with my PC and it shutdown unexpectedly. I tend to run routerstats-lite at all times now, but when i got booted back up it wouldn't work....and trying to access the router i couldn't get it's IP to resolve (192.168.1.1).
I left it until Monday but then tried a power on and off in the morning. That fixed things regarding accessing the router but my sync dropped from the mid 7000's  to around 800(still dreaming of getting back to 8096). Then having more problems i got a disconnect that put me down to about 480. I figured i might suddenly be getting some kind of noise so on Tuesday morning i removed the router and put an IPlate on the master socket. On reboot i found that that was a bad move....noise margin went up to around 19db's and sync dropped further. I'm now synced at 384 with an IP Profile of 135 and i reckon my Target Margin is as far from 9.0 as ever again at around 15/16.
I don't actually know what to do now....i can't get a decent sync so in my mind my router is either dying now it's been used for 4 years or i've got some kind of line fault. Last time i had issues the Plus tech people revealed an issue which BT didn't on checking, but this was later resolved....the quiet line test is also not great for me as i have hearing "issues".
Am i at the stage where raising a ticket is the way to go? What else do i try? I really do dream of that fabled 8096 of days gone by lately..... Embarrassed
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Don't know what to do other than raise a support ticket...

I would suggest trying a new router and filter.
If you don't have access to one Plusnet will loan you one
xist
Grafter

Re: Don't know what to do other than raise a support ticket...

Thanks Jim....to the rescue again! Looks like the support ticket is the way to go then....i forgot to mention that having seen the negative impact of the IPlate i left it for 24 hours but whipped it out this morning.