Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Domain Registry of America'

Robtheplod
Grafter

'Domain Registry of America'

Hi All
We have a customer who registered their .com domain name on their plusnet account, and have just had a letter from the Domain Registry of America saying they can renew it for £18. Would this sort of letter be legitimate and can anyone offer any advise over which way to go?Huh
5 REPLIES 5
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: 'Domain Registry of America'

Yes, I think it would be legit, but I personally never bother with them. I dont really trust it fully.
I use 123-reg for my domains, and they are 8.99/year for .com
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

They're well known, I've had their letters from domains I own. General advice is to keep clear.
I think they harvest the WHOIS records looking for domains about to expire, and then 'offer' that they can renew it for you. What you're actually doing is transferring the registration to them.
You don't need to transfer anything to them, if you're happy with the current registrar then there is no reason to change. If you look round you'll find that £18 is not the cheapest and there are plenty of places with better reputations and cheaper prices .. so if you were going to move then you may as well move to them!
As far as I know they are a legitimate company, but have a rather underhanded way of touting for business.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
If the domain is registered via ourselves, then you will need to renew the domain through ourselves unless you wish to transfer the domain away.
More information regarding the Domain Registry of America can be found on the link below:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01/06/court_bars_canadian_domain_slammer/
Robtheplod
Grafter

many thanks!!!
mcgurka
Grafter

Anytime! It amazes me how any question on this community has around 5 responses, within 30 mins or so, excellent service!