Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plusnet dislike apple?

tman16
Dabbler

Does Plusnet dislike apple?

Hi,
I was wondering why plusnet counts all itunes downloads and online ipad/iphone games as lower priority when the traffic is shaped?
Is there any chance that this can be changed?
I was unable to get a wireshark capture from the ipad/iphone unless anyone knows how to.
tman16
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Does Plusnet dislike apple?

If it is a download it is classed the same as other downloads.
If it is streaming or playing games on line that would be different
tman16
Dabbler

Comparing the download speed from the App Store and rapidshare/megaupload etc..., App Store turns out to be slower.
Then whenever I play an iphone/ipad game online my ping is terrible, I mean so so bad. Other players dont get this as my ping is the online one in red. Comparing this to an online computer game my ping is perfectly fine.
There is obviously a problem here as it happens with all iphone/ipad games. With regards to the App Store, I dont get why it is reduced so much, surely it should be considered as traffic with a reasonably high priority, certainly higher than that of megaupload etc..?Huh
Whilst on this topic I would also like to mention that skype calls are terrible as well, I have seen many other posts on that topic as well as iphone but nothing ever seems to be done. Its all very good having good support by providing plusnet faults services and community forums but it means nothing when they are not dealt with or at the very least closure given as to why it is like that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As you appear to be using a wireless connection could this be part of the problem given that Skype is Titanium at all times
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_prioritisation.shtml
WWWombat
Grafter

I suspect that Plusnet is classifying all traffic for the Apple - Games and iTunes - as part of the "Download Servers" classification, while Rapidshare and Megaupload are classified as "Download Sites". This page classifies these sites:  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_servers.shtml, and there is a note there that says, "Many downloads from Apple, Microsoft, PlayStation Network, Xbox LIVE and multimedia content from sites such as the BBC, eBay and Facebook are hosted on one of the above Content Distribution Networks. Depending on your account type, downloads from these sources may be slowed during busy times."
The Traffic Management Rate Limiting page shows that both of these categories are heavily limited in the evenings, and by differing amounts.
Interestingly, "Download Sites" are limited to lower speeds than "Download Servers", but you seem to be saying the opposite.
I also agree with Oldjim about Skype - it is all too easy for this to become terrible over wireless connections, and well worth trying over a fixed line before blaming anything else.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.