cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PlusNet use "spam" filters?

Javert
Grafter

Does PlusNet use "spam" filters?

Prior to joining PlusNet last month I was getting about 10 “spam”  emails – virtually all from different “Banks” , some of the emails contained Trojans.  These have all ceased – thank goodness. 
I use a domain name for my email address – so that it remains the same even though the ISP changes (and I don’t have to have my business cards reprinted).  However, I have noticed something a bit strange – in that some emails I am expecting do not arrive e.g. I have at requested a “password” reminder from at least four sites.  I know that in each case, I have used my “domain” address.  The site advises that it has sent the reminder – but nothing ever arrives.  To do another test, early this morning (before 7am) I sent myself an email from my Yahoo account – nothing has arrived. This raises a question as to whether there is any software (e.g. Spam fritters filters) within PlusNet which stops suspect emails getting through?
John

18 REPLIES 18
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Does PlusNet use "spam" filters?

There certainly is a spam filter - it is called Postini. See <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml">here</a> for information. To see what is in the spam folder you need to use webmail (from the portal) and be <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/webmail_spamfolder.shtml">subscribed to the spam folder</a>.
If these emails are being marked as spam you can whitelist the address. The guide linked above tells you how.
Javert
Grafter

Thanks Denzil for the info.
So I’m getting the impression that, despite the fact that, since joining, I have haven’t done anything regarding email (other than set up an account), and certainly haven’t requested anything to be treated as spam, +Net’s system decrees what I emails I receive and what I don’t receive.  Obviously I would prefer to receive all mail and then classify what I deem as being “undesirable” (and act accordingly) rather than have a system which blocks what it decides is “undesirable” i.e. random choice.
Obviously, I’m going to have to give this matter more serious thought.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Wait for more replies, you can switch off spam filtering, but havn't done it so not sure of the method  Smiley Cool  go into squirrel mail via the members centre and that will allow you to see what is currently in the spam box, use the method above to subscribe to the spam box, you can drag it into the good inbox to be read by your preferred mail reader Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

Just to clarify the emails using your domain name; I assume that Plusnet are hosting this domain and therefore mailbox@domainname.co.uk will be going to mailbox@account.plus.com. If the domain is hosted outside of Plusnet then they will not be going through any spam filtering by Plusnet.
MrToast
Grafter

There are a few settings.
First there is BSB (Blatant Spam Blocking). I've turned this off. BSB blocks at the edge and you will never see this mail unless you turn it off.
Then there is how you want mail filtered. You can elect to have all mail delivered, tagged or not tagged, sorted into SPAM folder and inbox or all into inbox.
I've found that postini does a reasonable job of sorting SPAM from HAM and its easy to spot the failures if they are delivered into SPAM and inbox as appropriate.
Its important to switch off BSB. I've found false positives in my SPAM folder that fail the BSB test (there is a header analyser on the Postini site). Most were from well known company email newsletters (BA, National etc) that I asked for.
Javert
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies – much appreciated.  However, being but a simple soul (and non-technical!) all this seems so unnecessary.  All I want is to receive my emails as sent – without having to waste time with this “false positive”, postini (thought that was an Italian postman!), SPAM, HAM, setting this, setting that, etc.  What a rigmarole; it’s all too complicated.
Just for interest my domain name is not with +Net, so, if emails sent to that address do not got through +Net’s spam filters, why am I not receiving emails, for example, that I have sent to myself? 
Well, it looks as though I’m going to have to try and find a new ISP – despite having been here less than two months.  Cry

MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Javert
  All I want is to receive my emails as sent –

You can certainly have that... though I'm afraid its not the default setting.
Simply go to email settings, select the SPAM tab and choose "Spam Filtering OFF" and "Edge Protection OFF"
If you go to another ISP choose carefully. Many do edge filtering un-announced.
MrToast
Grafter

Just for interest my domain name is not with +Net, so, if emails sent to that address do not got through +Net’s spam filters, why am I not receiving emails, for example, that I have sent to myself? 

Can't answer that without knowing how your email is routed / hosted. You say your domain is  'not with Plusnet'.... but that doesn't really tell us where your email is hosted.... or is it forwarded by whoever sold you the domain registration?
More detail needed to answer this.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sorry, but that just doesn't make sense.
If your email is with another provider why would PlusNet's spam filters be in any way relevant?
Or are you forwarding emails to a PlusNet account?
I have many email accounts not at PlusNet and sending/receiving them I access the servers directly...
I think you need to explain a bit more as the first impression is that you're complaining about something that is nothing to do with Plusnet yet still blaming them.  Crazy
gswindale
Grafter

Who is your domain name and email hosted with?  It is more likely to be a problem at their end than with PN.  For instance on Friday, e-mails sent to my exchange mailbox (1and1) were being delayed en route, yet emails sent directly to a POP3 account with streamline were getting through pretty quickly, which allowed me to pin point the problem as somewhere between streamline and 1and1 - absolutely nothing to do with my ISP at the time.
Javert
Grafter

Once again, thanks for the replies and help - it is very much appreciated.  Unfortunately, it is all rather “over my head” (being the “thicko” that I am), and what is straight forward to you isn’t to those of us classified as “lesser mortals”.  I realise that there may well be other factors involved in this – e.g. my Security program – Kaspkersky, etc. 
The best option for me, at the moment, does seem to be to return to my previous ISP.  However, I’m going to let the matter stew for a few days before making the final decision.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The best option for me, at the moment, does seem to be to return to my previous ISP.  However, I’m going to let the matter stew for a few days before making the final decision.

That would only make any sense if they are the company that run your email for you.
If not you will find that PlusNet, and the people on this Forum, are more likely to be helpful and assist you to get your problems solved than almost anywhere else.
gswindale
Grafter

I wouldn't advise returning to your previous ISP - there must have been some reason why you left.
Who is your current email provider?  For instance, for my swindale.me.uk domain, the mail is currently provided by Zen (although this is shortly to change).
I presume that you're using Outlook Express for mail purposes?  If so, can you go to "Tools", "Accounts", and select the mail account that is causing the problem.  Then select "properties" and "servers" and post the contents of the "incoming" and "outgoing" servers here.
The latter should read:
relay.plus.net
for you to be able to send emails yourself whilst connected to PN.
gswindale
Grafter

how are you getting on with this?  Have you been able to resolve this.  Have you actually spoken with PN to try and resolve this?