cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Do want to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC?

No problem  Smiley
It should be able to switch to Fibre itself without the need of a factory reset,
If it fails to just clcik disconnect on the hub configuration pages and connect again,
or theres always the old fashioned switch off at the mains or restart button
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Cheers again Notheasterner.
Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Always happy to help!  Smiley
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Hi Northeasterner. Reconnected HHub 5 today, switched Smart setup off. As you said this seems to have done the trick. PC (Ethernet), Laptop (wifi &Ethernet), Samsung Tab 2 & Galaxy 3 mini (wifi) all fully connected now. Only hiccup with Galaxy tab 1 7.0. Doesn't seem fully connected. Some apps work ok some not fully functional. Everything was fully operational via Netgear router. Might be down to age of device?
Many thanks for getting me operational again.
Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I can't see how age would reflect on its connectivity - unless it was extremely old.
Try forgetting network and set up again on tab 2
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Thanks NEasterner. It's TAB 1  7inch that doesn't seem totally happy with HHub5. Disconnected  & forgot wifi then reconnected Tab 1 but still same. Lot of lag on some apps & browsing. BBC News app frequently doesn't completely refresh. Says wifi signal "good". Thought it being the oldest piece of kit firmware wise etc might have something to do with it. But old GTi9000 seems happy. Strange as all other devices seem ok (after you advised to switch smart set up off). Acer W8.1 laptop (6gb ram Intel i5), Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy S3 mini, Galaxy S1 GTi900,& wifi adapter for TVonics Z500hd freeview PVR for built in iPlayer.
As advised earlier in your thread, I've given the 2 different wifi frequencies separate SSids. I understand fewer devices connect to 5ghz but was surprised that out of my above list, only ones that show HHub 5 ghz ssid when scanning are S3 mini & Tab 1. S3 seems ok on 5ghz but Tab 1 better on 2.4ghz.
Am I right in saying 5ghz obviously much faster but reduced range to 2.4ghz.
All this bit irrelevant at moment as fibre install not until 11th & still making do with existing 2mb. Still surprised that Hub only syncs at 1.9mb whereas old netgear dg834g gave me 2.3mb - 2.5mb (stratospheric hey). Chipset obviously not as suited to long line. Anyway that'll be irrelevant after 11th, hopefully.
Thanks for all the help.
Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The 5ghz band has a shorter range but higher transfer rate between router and device, whereas the 2.4ghz band provides a bigger range but has a shorter transfer rate.
The hub 5 is syncing at that speed due to the chip being designed for VDSL2 (fibre/fttc) and is compatible for ADSL, so it is trying at its best performance for ADSL. Whereas older hubs which are designed for ADSL with the chip designed for ADSL, don't have a chip for FTTC, they rely on the White open reach modem.
Once fibre gets up, it will unlock the full potential of your line speed as it is using the VDSL chip which is purely designed for Fibre
Hope this helps
NE
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I wouldn't have said the Homehub5 achieved a worse speed at ADSL just because it's primarily designed for VDSL2 - some VDSL2 capable modems/routers are very good at ADSL. It's just that different devices will attain slightly different speeds, the chipset a major factor but there will be other factors as well.
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Thanks NEasterner (again) & ejs. All I can say is roll on 11th for (fibre install day)!.
Cheers both. Smiley
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Fibre install completed successfully on 11th with BT modem & PN router. Close to cabinet so getting max 38mb as predicted. Disconnected PN router & modem yesterday, connected HHub5 successfully. All hunky dory so far. From 2mb adsl to 38mb fibre!
Many thanks to NorthEasterner  & others for help & advice re choice & connection of  HHub5.
Cheers everyone.
Smiley
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Oh good!
I'm pleased for you, any problems just let me know.
NE
discodas

Hi I am new,
Just come to PN, and have moved from BT, currently have HH2 version b, and wish to use to save having modem and PN router, can you please tell me which cables go where and is it ok to do so?
Have got access to BTHH2 manager to change setting once I am up and running so presume once PN fiber ready I can alter HH2 settings?
Cheers and thanks in advance
Disco Huh Huh
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I think you still need a modem with a HH2  Embarrassed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No think about it! It's only the HH5 that has the VDSL modem required for FTTC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
discodas

Ok so just to clear it up, Once PN fiber is up and running with modem and PN router, I could remove PN router and replace with BT HH2b, but still need the openreach modem?
If I wanted to remove the Modem I would need a HH5 is that what your thoughts are?
Sorry only the original comment at the beginning appears not to mention the modem with HH2?
Sorry not into all this wifi router stuff Grin