cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Plusnet want the forums moderated by users?

Mark
Grafter

Re: Do Plusnet want the forums moderated by users?

If we have prohibited the mods doing something then I want to know about it. The mods have my mobile number and I'm happy to investigate your allegation John.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think you can expect a call from Roger very soon!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
scootie
Grafter

my self dont see why PN would want to take over the moding of the forum and look like the bad guy for doing it and when they make a mod choice in future that upsets a certain few.
when currently they have that bit more time to answer and fix faults of customers on the forum and look like the white knight doing it.
i think the actions of PN on the news letter have bein read the wrong way(no pun intended)
Mark
Grafter

Yip. I got a call from Roger and we've had a good chat.
Firstly its not just a case of "prohibiting" the mods from doing something for the hell of it. There are good reasons for not using the Community site bulk email tool in its current format not least of those concern potential DPA issues, the fact that there are no permission based opt in or out facilities. The fact that nowhere does the CS sign up give permission for emails from "members of the public" as opposed to Plusnet and the fact that our own business rules under the current set up would mean that any bulk email would have to be approved and QA'd prior to any send.
Its not an ideal situation and I've discussed with Roger possibilities which we'd be happy to investigate for the future.
The way this issue is being protrayed is that we are deliberately trying to stifle the publication of this election when that is most certainly not the case. Why would we want to do that? The newsletter was delayed for internal operational reasons. To be frank the mod election is not the only peice of content that the newsletter contains.
One question to Roger was this.  Out of the 400 0r 500 people who have been on line over the last couple of days, there have only been 42 votes. How can we quantify the impact a mass email would have on voting when those that do visit dont bother to vote?
There is no way in this earth that we'd ever want to stifle a mod election. Not now not ever. We will promote the election once we get the newsletter out but there's more to that then this election.
If we can find a way of utilising some form of forum announcment tool for the mods we will but right now that tool doesnt exist at least not one the mods can use.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

2.5% of the forum membership has produced 33 votes - who knows how many more votes would be generated by the other 97.5%
What percentage of the forum membership haven't visited the forums since the poll was started on Monday and therefore are blissfully unaware that an election is in progress.
I remember we have had the same discussions about announcements and whether they could be send out in previous elections. That's what really cheeses me off at times, we spend ages talking about these things and nothing changes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mark
Grafter

That's what really cheeses me off at times, we spend ages talking about these things and nothing changes.

I've asked Roger to post some suggestions / requirements to the Mods forum. Once thats done we'll look at it internally and see what we can deliver.
I'm making no promises other than we'll do what we can to help and if we can deliver something for the mods we will. I can do no more than that right now.
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

What percentage of the forum membership haven't visited the forums since the poll was started on Monday and therefore are blissfully unaware that an election is in progress.

I would imagine a large percentage of forum members are inactive, and only signed up and used it briefly. And people with two Forum identities  Cheesy
How many really active members are there - say who visit at least once a week, and perhaps more important - this that post more than a few messages per week.
LiamM
Grafter

People who read the forums regularly but dont necessarily post anything deserve to have their say just as much as other, imo.  As it's the moderators who do the great job of making sure the forums are a valuable resource to both read and get involved in if that is your wish.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't think I am breaking any rules when I report that of the total of 10,134 members 5,850 haven't visited in the last year and 8460 haven't visited in the last 3 months
This means that there are about 1670 members who might be described as active although I have no idea as how often members of this group have visited the forums
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
2.5% of the forum membership has produced 33 votes - who knows how many more votes would be generated by the other 97.5%

But what value would that vote be. I bet many of the 97.5% wouldn't know the candidates from their own elbow.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

we had a regular poster pop recently, the last time was the beginning of December
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

God moves in mysterious ways  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Does it need a full newsletter?, I have very recently had two emails about the special offers, just one pagers, surely thats all  thats needed

PS
I wasnt being godly, cause he seems to have ranted off again in the same direction  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
LiamM
Grafter

I don't see why Plusnet can't themselves send an email on behalf of the moderators to people with a registered community site username who are opted in to emails.
We get enough emails about Referrals, Offers, signing up to home phone etc.. etc.. etc.. surely they could do one for this?  It would certainly be more interesting than the regular marketing regulars?
Mark
Grafter

We've already agreed to email the base as discussed in this thread. We will do that as part of the newsletter. That got delayed on Friday but hopefully will go on Monday. Do you suggest we delay that further just for the election knowing as you do the work involved in creating any bulk email?