cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do PlusNet throttle iPlayer streaming?

Dizzley
Grafter

Do PlusNet throttle iPlayer streaming?

I had a frustrating time trying to stream BBC shows last night. I got lots of buffering and the "insufficient bandwidth" message and then it crapped out.  Angry
Do PlusNet throttle iPlayer streaming? If so, to what extent and when?
I tried downloading the show instead but got a speed of 670kb/sec = 2.2 hours for a 1 hour show so gave up on that too! The BBC's own speed test showed streaming speed of 10 Mbit/sec at the time so I don't think local contention was the problem.
What do you think was the problem, and how can I avoid it?
2 REPLIES 2
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Do PlusNet throttle iPlayer streaming?

I had this exact same issue last night (well, early evening). Not using OpenDNS by any chance are you?
If so, then changing them back to the default PN ones will help (and then ipconfig /flushdns), as OpenDNS use some fancy location forwarding stuff to make sure that load is spread across the various different CDN's properly, but obviously this doesn't work too well on occasions as everyone is forwarded to the same CDN server.
Alex Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Do PlusNet throttle iPlayer streaming?

We've taken a look at our graphing and it's not showing anything that would cause a generic iPlayer problem. Personally I watched iPlayer last night and didn't have any issues.
Were you having problems with any other web activity? (browsing etc)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.