cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

DrJon
Dabbler

Re: Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

It's wi-fi.
I don't know much about fancy TV's either, this is the first TV we've had for several years!  Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

We have a Panasonic TX-L37ET5B smart TV which is the previous year's model. No problem watching iPlayer HD over WiFi from our TG582n. Our iPlayer Diagnostics results are similar to the OP's
Download Speed:      7790 kbps
Streaming Speed (1): 8068 kbps
Streaming Speed (2): 8109 kbps
Streaming Speed (3): 8106 kbps
We have Plusnet Unlimited.
We've also had an SD stream over WiFi to an Android tablet running at the same time.and a large FTP download on a wired computer which just used the spare capacity. However WiFi was probably using 125Mbps at this time.
The OP is using a TG585v7 which doesn't have 'n' rated WiFi but 'g' should be more than adequate for a single HD stream. Plenty in hand if it's SD. Huh
David
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Interestingly I watched parts 2 and 3 of the Royal Institute Christmas lectures this afternoon in HD on iPlayer.
Both had a couple of brief moments of buffering and I'm syncing at 13Mbs and an iPlayer diagnostic shows loads of headroom.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never see any buffering or stalling issues when watching HD iPlayer programs on my 20CN 6.6Mbps ADSL connection, even when multiple other users are sharing my broadband connection for web browsing and Xbox gaming.
@'DrJon' - Answering your question -
  1)  No you probably don't need fibre - UNLESS you intend HD streaming to multiple televisions/PCs.
  2)  You do need to upgrade to 'Unlimited' for the unrestricted monthly usage allowance.
  3)  Instead of WiFi, I would connect the TV using an ethernet cable, or homeplug mains adaptors
  4)  Ensure your ADSL connection is working properly.
  5)  ASK IN THIS THREAD for Plusnet to have your ADSL2+ upstream speed uncapped (for free).
Wink
DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks for all the helpful replies.  Smiley
I have requested an upgrade to Unlimited.
PlusNet customer support, if you are reading this thread can I please have my ADSL2+ upstream speed uncapped?
Thanks again.  Cool
nadger
Rising Star

From memory your upgrade won't take place until next account date.
I use iPlayer, 4OD, Demand5, Netflix and NowTV, using Roku, with a connection no faster than yours.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi DrJon,
Just placed that for you, it should complete on Monday for you. Hope it helps.
DrJon
Dabbler

AAAAARRRGHHH!  Crazy
Still having problems. Even though the above fix was attempted and I have now upgraded to Unlimited, we still cannot watch a program on iplayer because it is constantly buffering.
I'm tearing my hair out, I'm down on my knees,
Would someone from PlusNet help me please!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just had a look over everything from our side. Your profiles are matching fine at 8000 which should be plenty fast enough to watch any streaming. I can't see any odd usage or any evidence that the upstream is being saturated which might interrupt things either.
Would you be able to run a BT speed test please, so we can see what kind of speeds you're getting from your side? You can find that at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com
DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks for looking into this, it's really frustrating. It seems we needn't have bothered upgrading to Unlimited, it has made no difference to performance.
Here are the BTW test results:
Download speed: 7.98mb
Upload speed: 0.96mb
Ping latency (ms): 39,00
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's nothing wrong with that at all, and the speeds should be fine to watch iPlayer. Is there anything else online at the time you're trying to watch that could be using up the bandwidth on the connection, in particular the upload?
DrJon
Dabbler

Nope. We are a pretty low-tech household and nobody uses any other devices whilst we are trying to watch iplayer.
I really hope that you can sort this otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to bid farewell to PlusNet.
DrJon
Dabbler

I am getting really sick of this now.
If it can't be sorted then can you please advise me how I can leave PlusNet with minimal hassle. Unlimited broadband my a Crazy Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I would say it is 99% probable that it's the WiFi that is causing the issues. I have a Panasonic Vierra TV. I'm also on a a 20CN ADSL1 connection which is slower than yours (see attached result of BBC test). Your connection is easily good enough.
The difference is that I use these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DrJon
Dabbler

Aha, that makes sense, thanks very much Jelv.  Smiley
So how do these things work and is the Powerline adapter easy to set up?
I'd still be curious to hear a response from PlusNet, is the problem that the supplied wireless router just isn't any good?
The confusing thing is that for a couple of days after I upgraded to Unlimited I could watch iplayer without any problems. Then suddenly it started buffering all the time again.  Undecided Undecided