cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

DrJon
Dabbler

Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

Hello,
We got a new TV after years without one and now want to watch catch-up TV using iplayer.
We only have a basic,cheapest broadband and phone line package and this is insufficient for iplayer.
Obviously we need to upgrade and I am wondering whether PlusNet unlimited would be sufficient for iplayer/skype video calls? Would it make much difference to upgrade to a more expensive fibre package?
I have tried calling plusnet cusomer support but it's impossible to get through.
Thanks in advance for any help that this community can offer.

42 REPLIES 42
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Do I need fibre? (not a bowel related question)

The information we need is the stats from your router - speeds, noise margin and attenuation - this explains how to get them http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks for that link but I have already fallen at the first hurdle - I don't know my how to find my username or password... Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

DrJon
Dabbler

Thomson TG585v7
I figured out how to access it - is this the info that you need? I am not sure how to find noise margin, speed and attenuation...
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 9,040
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That gives the basic information
From that you don't need fibre but you may wish to upgrade to unlimited as TV catchup uses a lot of bandwidth
DrJon
Dabbler

That's great, thanks.
So do you reckon Unlimited would be sufficient  for watching iplayer and making video calls via Skype?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

iPlayer HD takes about 3.5Mbs leaving plenty for video Skype.
Unlimited is well worth the upgrade.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hi there
Yes unlimited would be fine
If you are out of your minimum term you may get a better offer by calling customer options , as if you choose to upgrade online it just give you the normal price . Smiley
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies chaps!  Smiley
I can't watch iplayer at all with my current basic package - is that normal?  Huh
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Your router stats show a downstream sync speed of about 9Mb/s, as Strat mentioned above, iPlayer requires about 3.5Mb/s for HD so you should have plenty but looks like something is wrong.
What does this iPlayer diagnostic give you: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks, I didn't know how to check that.
According to the Speed Test I should be fine.
Download speed: 7438kbs
Streaming speed 1: 7586kbs
Steaming Speed 2: 7664kbs
Streaming Speed: 7251kbs
Yet I am unable to watch programmes on iplayer because it stops every few seconds... Shocked
w23
Pro

Is this on a particular computer?  If Windows based, can you start the Windows task Manager and click the 'performance' tab just to see whether your processor is struggling, see what it does while trying to stream iPlayer.  I suggest this because I have a laptop (decent enough spec. but often decides to 'slow down') which struggles to keep video playing at times even with an ethernet connection of Fibre while a basic Android tablet (via wi-fi) does just fine.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
DrJon
Dabbler

Thanks, I am trying to watch iplayer on a Panasonic Viera TX-L42E6B  TV
I can watch Youtube videos without any problems but it slows right down whenever I try to watch a TV programme  Huh
Huh
w23
Pro

Is that connected by (ehternet) wire to your router or is it wi-fi?  It could be a wi-fi issue.  Sorry I don't know much about fancy TVs.
Call me 'w23'