cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need an IP Profile nudge from PlusNet?

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do I need an IP Profile nudge from PlusNet?

Hello,
Do I need an IP Profile nudge from PlusNet, that I read a lot about in this forum?
I recently upgraded to 'Premium' and onto ADSL2+.
I have been on the new account for longer than the 10 day DLM training.
My PlusNet 'High Speed Broadband' details have not changed since before the account change, and reports:
Estimated line speed:
    8 - Checked on 2010-04-14 20:39:22
Current line speed:

I've just done an initial BT Speedtest which reports:

Download speed achieved during the test was - 5846 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :16863 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1188 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 14000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 15.51:36.35:48.14 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

It looks like BT have my IP Profile as 14000, while PlusNet have it at 7150 - but then I'm happy to accept I've misunderstood things!
If an IP Profile nudge by PlusNet would yield a download speed increase without causing any problem - yes please!
If it could cause any connection instability then I'm happy to leave things alone, and make good use of the upload speed increase, and monthly price decrease, I currently enjoy.
Many thanks.
Cheers,
Tony
7 REPLIES 7
Moominfish
Grafter

Re: Do I need an IP Profile nudge from PlusNet?

Firstly I have to say what a well thought out, detailed and polite post Smiley
And whilst I'm not on ADSL2, it would suggest to me from the speedtest results you posted that your Plusnet IP profile does indeed need a nudge to match your BT one.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

t looks like BT have my IP Profile as 14000, while PlusNet have it at 7150 - but then I'm happy to accept I've misunderstood things!

No you haven't, you're absolutely correct, your PlusNet profile is wrong. It should mirror the BT profile, usually it changes automatically within 24 hours of the BT one changing. Sometimes the system doesnt't work, BT profile changes either don't get transmitted or they get lost somewhere.
Sound like yours is stuck and needs a manual adjustment.
I'm sure one of the Digital Care team will spot this thread shortly and do the necessary...
Edit : @toggie101, you'll need to disconnect & reconnect ( your ppp session ) to get the profile change active.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm sure one of the Digital Care team will spot this thread shortly and do the necessary...

Indeed we will. All updated, for some reason your account from our side was set to ADSL1 rather than ADSL2+ hence the profile not increasing above 7150, I've upped it to 14000 now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
grahamt
Rising Star

I wonder if I could hang a request on the back of the above?
It's not as big a gap as Tony's, but my BT IP profile has been at 7150 for at least four days now, but my Plusnet profile's still at 6500. Could it be nudged, please?
Graham
toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris
Indeed we will. All updated, for some reason your account from our side was set to ADSL1 rather than ADSL2+ hence the profile not increasing above 7150, I've upped it to 14000 now.

Thanks Chris. I've just done a router disconnect & reconnect and a speedtest, my download speed has doubled - nice!
Just one question: does this mean that I'll now start 10 days of DLM training? Or will things 'just work'?
Also, thanks to Moominfish and MisterW for taking the time to reply.
Cheers,
Tony
Mand
Grafter

@grahamt, now changed to 7150.
@toggie101, you've actually been on 21CN since Feb (though on ADSL1 rather than ADSL2+), so it'll all just work.
grahamt
Rising Star

Thanks, Mand. I'll resync to apply it.
Graham
[Edit: Or maybe not. It looks like there was a resync (maybe just a PPP reconnect as I didn't notice anything) at 11am this morning. Download speed using the standard bandwidth test it about 6550, which seems about right.]