Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a new router?

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do I need a new router?

I'm using a BT1801HG router supplied by PN a few years ago. Up untill a few months ago I was on a fixed 2Meg line speed and had no problems with either my laptop (wireless connection) or desktop (wired connection). I had a speed upgrade and now getting around 5Meg, the desktop was ok but I had problems with the laptop on larger downloads. A couple of weeks ago my desktop blew up and I replaced it with another laptop - also wireless and now have the same problems with this new laptop. If I'm downloading a large file everything is ok for a minute or so then the speed drops to zero, at the same time the middle light on the router (broadband link) goes out and then orange. After a few seconds the light goes back to green and the download continues for another minute or so and repeats. I'm using Newsbin for the downloads and if I limit the speed to less than 3meg the problem goes away.
Is the router faulty or not designed for the higher speeds.
If I need a new router can anyone recommend a suitable model
Paul
17 REPLIES 17
scottmg
Grafter

Re: Do I need a new router?

PN should be able to supply you with a replacement
paulgul
Rising Star

Well a replacement is only worthwhile if its a router problem, I'm trying to establish if this is the case
Epyon
Grafter

Connect one of the laptop in a wired state then see how you get on.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulgul,
Other than yesterday the line seemed quite stable and since then it has been holding out quite well. I would hold on to any decisions on the router just yet. I'll check things out for you again tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

As per suggestion, I connected one of my laptops via cable, downloaded three 30meg files straight off without any problems, around 5Mips throughout. I then disconnected the cable and re-enabled the wireless, tried downloading a 50meg files and about half way through the connection droped and the broadband link lamp went to red for about 10 seconds and then back to green.
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
If you did this today then it wasn't your broadband that dropped as I can see no drops here. That would lead me to conclude that it is your wireless dropping. The router you have is almost 4 years old now and out of warranty otherwise I would have replaced it. Could you borrow one from someone else to see if you get the same issue?
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
Hi Paul,
If you did this today then it wasn't your broadband that dropped as I can see no drops here.
Jojo Smiley

About 5 minutes before I made the post, just after 6pm. I think i might just get a new one and take a chance, I can't see what else it could be. Can you or anyone else recommend a sensibly priced one - what do PN supply these days.
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
It must have been your wireless that dropped. As you can see from the graph, there were no disconnections at that time. We currently supply a Thomson TG585v8 router. we can send you this for £4.99 P&P and you would only pay the £40 for the router if you left us in the next 12 months.
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

We currently supply a Thomson TG585v8 router. we can send you this for £4.99 P&P and you would only pay the £40 for the router if you left us in the next 12 months.
Jojo Smiley

That sounds a good plan, can you arrange it or do I have to make a request elsewhere?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Paul,
I'll sort that for you. I'll have to take the £4.99 straight away, if that's ok I'll go ahead.
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

Thats ok, go ahead with it.
Thanks very much for your help  Smiley
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Paul,
That's ordered now, thank you. It should be with you in 2-3 working days. It'll fit through the letter box so no need to wait in for it either.
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

Great, thanks again. Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

Hi Paul,
It should be with you in 2-3 working days. It'll fit through the letter box so no need to wait in for it either.
Jojo Smiley

It arrived lunchtime, well done to both PN and Royal Mail for a quick service, only 5 out of 10 for the local postie though, he broke the letter box trying to shove the package through - you can't win them all.
Haven't had chance to set it up yet, may have to wait until tomorrow