cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I live to far away from the cabinet to recieve FTTC

drobb

Do I live to far away from the cabinet to recieve FTTC

Hi,
I was hoping once my exchanges had been upgraded (which is was ealier this month) I would be able to recieve FTTC and increase my 1 -1.5Mbps i currently get to a decent speed.  I have friends who live closer to the exchange are able to get FTTC.
I was advised by a Plusnet customer service to check if FTTC awas avaible to me by the website http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker ; If I enter my post code it returns with FTTC is available, however if I use my phone number its saying its not available...
I'm obviously a long way from the local cabinet to be currently getting poor speeds, I was wondering if I'm too far away from the cabinet for FTTC, I have read various forums on the web saying that its only made available if they can get speeds of 15Mbps.
The only people who could answer this appear to be BT Wholesale but they do not deal with the public and plusnet do not seem to be willing to try and find out.  What can  I do?
Thanks
Dave
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Do I live to far away from the cabinet to recieve FTTC

Speeds on ADSL are governed by the distance to the exchange not the cab
It is possible that your post code is served by two cabs only one of which is enabled
What does this say http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ - you can check with both phone number or address as well as post code
drobb

Results from the checker on mine and my friends line below:
My line
Telephone Number 0125639**** on Exchange DUMMER is served by Cabinet 1
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3 Available
ADSL Max Up to 0.75 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2  -- -- Available
Friends line
Telephone Number 0125639**** on Exchange DUMMER is served by Cabinet 1
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 77 20 19.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 67.3 20 17.9 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 13 -- 7.5 to 17.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 13 Up to 1 7.5 to 17.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 8 -- 7 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2  -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2  -- -- Available
drobb

I'm about 2.6 miles form the exchange (driving) google map A-(home) B-(Exchange)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If those numbers are correct you are so far away from the cab that fibre is completely impossible
However the drop in ADSL speeds comparing the two lines makes me wonder if something is adrift or else cab 1 serves a very very wide area
How far are you from your friends house and what are the present stats from your router
drobb

Friend lives just over 2 miles away, less than  mile from the exchange and less than 1/4 mile from Cab.
Not at home so cannot give router stats at moment.
If it is the case I'm so far from the cab\exchange that fibre is impossibly, how can I get Plus net to actually tell me officially?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

That means you're probably between 1-3/4 and 2-1/4 miles from the cabinet, VDSL2 (the 'signal' that carries FTTC from the cabinet to your house) becomes weak at these kind of distances (I think at about 1 mile it can only match ADSL), unfortunately you're unlikely to be benefit from FTTC so I'm not too surprised you're not seeing speed estimates for FTTC.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
WWWombat
Grafter

Someone getting predictions of 80Mbps probably lives within 400m of the cabinet (line distance, rather than as-the-crow-flies distance).
The signal from an FTTC cabinet can usually get to somewhere between 2km and 3km (line distance), depending on the quality of the line, dimensions, and material it is made of. If BT think you are too far away, then they do not include it on the checker BTW checker. Plusnet see the same results that you do, so cannot confirm it in any better way.
Superfast speeds, of 24Mbps+, can reach around 1km - 1200m.
Want to find out how far outside the coverage area you are?
If you use the same checker, but this time select the ADDRESS checker, and put in just the postcode, it will give a list of addresses. You can choose any of these to find the estimates for those properties. Don't use the POSTCODE checker, as it tends to give out inaccurate results, or it just leaves fibre results out entirely.
If you want to try a selection of predictions for the route between your home and the cabinet, you can try different postcodes. Just use the Royal Mail postcode finder, and give it some street names - it will tell you all the postcodes for a particular road, though limited to 50 queries a day.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
drobb

I looks like I'm to far away from the exchange to benefit from FTTC, does anyone know what can be done to get to get faster broadband? 
I'm aware that I'm covered by Phase 1 of Hampshire Superfast Broadband Programme (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/broadband) but It looks like I'll be the 10% who do not benefit.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

what can be done?Huh
you won't like the answer, but the solution is to move house, preferably to one where the cabinet is within eyesight.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

What can be done?
Get involved with local politics. Enlist the help of your local and county councillors, join any local groups campaigning for better broadband and ask your neighbours to get involved. Write to the local papers.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I did a search on this I seem to recall the cabinet can be up to 5.4 kilometres from the exchange for FTTC. There are other factors to take in account.
Dan.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

dragon2611
Grafter

It wouldn't surprise me if the Fibre Back-haul for the FTTC cabinet actually connected to Basingstoke rather than Dummer but that's something that probably only BT Openreach know for sure.
Not sure if one of the local WISP's cover that area or not.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5