cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do BT know how to run an ADSL2+ service properly?

itsme
Grafter

Re: Do BT know how to run an ADSL2+ service properly?

I would put the Speedtest down as one of life mysteries. It's very unlikely that you would have been on 21CN in 2008 as this require your line being rejumpered in the exchange. But both MSAN and DSLAM equipment are capable of higher speeds on 20CN, so who knows what happen.
itsme
Grafter

R1chard
Have you seen http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84501.msg700147.html#msg700147
appears so
6656 I recognise
from my own
banded time
R1chard
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Have you seen http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,84501.msg700147.html#msg700147

Yes. It just makes me want to cut British Telecom out of my life as much as possible.
stallan
Grafter

Well if you have the BT SFI Engineer coming then leave it as it is. Maybe ask him to replace it  Wink
R1chard
Grafter

Quote from: stallan
Well if you have the BT SFI Engineer coming then leave it as it is. Maybe ask him to replace it   Wink

I haven't authorised Plusnet to book a BT SFI engineer yet because I am highly sceptical about BT's ethics, especially after reading these articles:
Special Faults Investigation: http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-sfi.html
ISP view on SFI charges: http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-sfi-isp.html
Standard Fault Investigation service: http://aaisp.net.uk/sfi.html
I am allergic to giving money to companies that behave like imbeciles.
stallan
Grafter

In that case I know what route I'd take first......  I'd do everything I possibly can before I let them through the front door.....
R1chard
Grafter

I forgot to add the resolution of this problem last year, so for the sake of completeness and if anyone bothers to read these old threads, here it is. First of all, my belated thanks to the people on this forum who offered their advice; it was much appreciated.
8 March 2010 - fault logged via the Plusnet Help Assistant.
23 March 2010 - I opened this topic.
5 April 2010 - from Plusnet: "We have checked the progress of your fault with our supplier [BT]. At the moment this is still being investigated by their diagnostics team."
12 April 2010 - from Plusnet: "From our logs it would appear that your fault is now resolved. Due to the very nature of faults, we can only request that you monitor the connection for several days, in order to confirm you are satisfied this is resolved in full. We take your feedback very seriously...[etc, etc]."
So it took more than a month to fix the fault and I was given no explanation WHATSOEVER about the cause of it. There was also no apology for the incredible amount of my time that had been wasted and the very poor customer service experience. I was deeply unimpressed with Plusnet and their "supplier" and it reinforced my belief that BT is a company run by imbeciles and best avoided (I know they own Plusnet).
The fault was magically fixed without me having to do anything on my side of the network. No BT engineer ever needed to visit my property. In other words, this was a BT (or Plusnet) fault right from the start.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think you are right in that Plusnet do themsleves no favours if they do not provide an explanation of how a fault was resolved.  Even an explanation that requires a technical interpreter is better than no explanation at all.   
R1chard
Grafter

ReedRichards, you are absolutely right.
I would love to upgrade to the Plusnet Fibre service with an estimated data transfer rate of 40 Mbit/s, but I am not willing to commit to an 18 month contract with any company that relies upon BT to provide its services.
matt_2k34
Grafter

but I am not willing to commit to an 18 month contract with any company that relies upon BT to provide its services.

Well... OpenReach will be providing the service Via Wholesale to other ISPs that currently have their own LLU network AFAIK?
So no matter who you go with - your going to be dealing with OR/Wholesale  Roll_eyes
Regards
R1chard
Grafter

Thanks for that information Matt_2k34.
To be fair to Plusnet (and more grudgingly) BT, my Plusnet Pro service has been very reliable over the last year, and reliability is much more important to me than value for money or mega high speeds.
R1chard
Grafter

Just eight days after making the statement above about reliability, my downstream speed has dropped to 94 kbit/s according to a BT speedtest I just ran.
94 kbit/s? The IP profile for my line is 17393 kbit/s.
Is this a Mickey Mouse company or what?
matt_2k34
Grafter

@R1chard,
Thats abit cack tbh, Fancy posting the results of the BT speedtest, and routerstats? (Could be huge amount of errors - it has been torrential raining today, here anyway!) Smiley
Regards
R1chard
Grafter

@Matt_2k34
The issue was solved in a little over an hour by a phonecall to Plusnet. One of their staff members was very helpful in getting in touch with BT Wholesale and getting them to do a "reset on the line".
I had to switch my router off for an hour while that was being done. When I switched it back on at 19:35 I did another speed test and the result was 13 Mbit/s, which is pretty good considering the time of day.
Happy again.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Heh fair enough!
Nice to see that they could get on it straight away to be honest, sounds like the agent needs praise!
Regards Smiley