cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dismal broadband speed

mattyjones84
Dabbler

Re: Dismal broadband speed

Sorry Jelv I don't understand what sync speed is?
I am still getting 0.2ish
same old same old
Really just want my money back so I can go elsewhere though plusnet seem happy to keep throwing routers and engineers at the problem that is never getting fixed.
I'm getting incredibly bored
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

on the router stat page it will give you a connection speed (448/2345 for example) on adsl products

the rest of the router stats will be things like snr margin and line attenuation which indicate the line's length and quality

the BTW speed tester would show your line's ip profile which would tell you if you have been capped to a really low speed.
if you could post what those things are it can assist in finding the cause of the problem (since the main line fault has apparently been cleared)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
mattyjones84
Dabbler

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 255 / 512
nanotm
Pro

is that speed of connection sync or is that the result from a speed test website ?
sorry to sound like a bad record but its important to establish if its the sync speed or the throughput(bandwidth) speed
and ideally the results from the BTW checker to show the line cap that's been imposed
its a damn site easier to suggest things to do then
also if its a connection problem its unlikely to clear by simply changing provider, what with the equipment not changing as its all owned by BTOR and just who you pay that changes ....
mattyjones84
Dabbler

That number is taken from the router stat page as suggested
Done a BTW test results are
Download speed 0.14 mbps
Upload 0.18 mbps
ping latency 41.00 ms
nanotm
Pro

any chance you can post the full stats of the router page,
to make it easy you can press ctl + a on the router page then right click over the highlighted area and select copy,
click reply and then click the quote box (its the speech bubble type icon above the various smilies)) and push ctl+v in the reply box (sorry if you already know this but some people don't)
just to see the line figures for your connection
there might be something telling in that and certainly it is something the support team would require to aid in sorting out the problem
mattyjones84
Dabbler

When you say router page where will I find this?
Thanks
Matt
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

If it is a Plusnet supplied router http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
mattyjones84
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n
admin

Home
Technicolor Gateway
Information
Configuration
Event Logs
Broadband Connection
Toolbox
Home Network
Help

Home > Technicolor Gateway > Information 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Connectivity OK
DSL Connection 

Link Information

Uptime: 4 days, 8:29:27

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 152.58 / 1.17

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 48.2 / 75.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.4 / 4.9

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 13,099 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 248 / 13,818

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 82 / 4,428

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick a task...
Restart my Technicolor Gateway

nanotm
Pro

unless you are in fact about 6 miles from the exchange
those line figures indicate a fault with the wiring,
to eliminate possible home problem, do you have an alarm system that's connected to the phone line ? if yes does it show disconnected when your plugged into the test socket (behind the bottom half of the split face master phone socket)
if you have any extension points in the house, with the modem plugged into the test socket are you able to hear a dial tone at any of the extension points ?

if neither of those apply, do you hear any noise when performing the quiet line test (17070) ?
if not it would still indicate a fault but it might be a little harder to find
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you put the router in to a filter in the test socket without a telephone connected and then post this bit of the stats again please:
Quote from: mattyjones84
Uptime: 4 days, 8:29:27
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 152.58 / 1.17
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 48.2 / 75.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.4 / 4.9

The bandwidth figures are the sync speeds - for the moment we need to just look at seeing if those can be improved.
If there is no significant improvement in the test socket then it looks like you are genuinely a long way from the exchange and you are very, very, very unlikely to do any better with a different ISP as they will all deliver the service using the same wires and the same equipment in the exchange.
Could you also go to http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the results that gives (remove your telephone number before posting) please.
Plusnet: might it be worth trying putting him on ADSL1? It such a line length that might be better.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nanotm
Pro

unless the router stats page is falsely reporting both up and down power the attenuation figure is likely down to a fault somewhere in the loop, particularly when looked at with the SNM figures I would expect the figures to be closer to 6/30 (down/up)
the fact nothing is reporting as you would expect means a problem either with the router (unlikely as its been swapped) or the wiring between the router and the exchange
kitz
Aspiring Pro

The 0dBm for power is a known trait for some Thomson routers.  The up power is about right, down is normally 18-20dBm (unless powercutback has been applied.. & since its a long line I doubt that).
Chris has done a line check which showed 74.5 atten..  so its looking like an extremely long line.
I notice the lack of FEC's despite the amount of CRCs/HECs and ErrSecs.  If that line constantly syncs dead at 512, I'd suspect its on max capped rate profile 500.
I agree with jelv, that line would be better on adsl1, which may give it a bit more speed. 
However there doesnt look to be much spare SNRM..  and if that line flaps, it may well be better staying on capped rate.. because if DLM kicks in by the time it starts messing with interleaving and increasing the SNRm.. it could well end up with worse speed than it is now.
mattyjones84
Dabbler

Quote from: nanotm
unless you are in fact about 6 miles from the exchange
those line figures indicate a fault with the wiring,
to eliminate possible home problem, do you have an alarm system that's connected to the phone line ? if yes does it show disconnected when your plugged into the test socket (behind the bottom half of the split face master phone socket)
if you have any extension points in the house, with the modem plugged into the test socket are you able to hear a dial tone at any of the extension points ?

if neither of those apply, do you hear any noise when performing the quiet line test (17070) ?
if not it would still indicate a fault but it might be a little harder to find

Sorry for the late reply no alarm connected to the phone line and no extension
Quote from: kitz
it could well end up with worse speed than it is now.

I don't think that is possible.
Still waiting for a response from plusnet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Looking at the length of your line, I think the only thing we can try is putting you on ADSL1, there's no guarantee of an improvement and we can always swap back to ADSL2.
Let me know if you'd like that arranged.