Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dismal broadband speed

mattyjones84
Dabbler

Dismal broadband speed

Hi,
We had an engineer out couple of days ago who found a fault with our line. He went out and eventually found the fault.
Unfortunately this has done nothing to help my broadband speed.
Despite being quoted 'speeds upto 2 meg' I am actually receiving between 0.1 and 0.3 rendering it mostly unusable most of the time.
In fact it comes to something when my 3G connection on my mobile phone with 1 bar of signal is actually giving me more juice than my landline broadband!
As nothing can be done your end to help my dismal speeds I was looking to get a refund of my annual line rental so I can change service provider.
Thanks
Matt
31 REPLIES 31
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Re: Dismal broadband speed

We had an engineer out couple of days ago who found a fault with our line. He went out and eventually found the fault.

It would be interesting to see your line stats.
The line may need a DLM or IP profile reset, which the engineer may not have done. 
Could even be that your PN profile hasnt caught up yet.
mattyjones84
Dabbler

The engineer told me to call plusnet to tell them to uncap the speed as very often if there is a fault on the line they cap the speed though the BT engineer said that plusnet would deny they do this but he said all ISP's do.
Phone call was made and I was advised within 24hrs I should see a difference I was then contacted to be told that my speed is unlikely to increase regardless of the fault being fixed and they could send another engineer out but basically it would be pointless.
Quoting upto 2 meg and only able to supply someone with a tenth of that speed on a good day is an absolute joke the fact that plusnet seem to think that, that is acceptable is even more of a joke.
I won't make the mistake of paying line rental upfront again absolute waste of time nothing but trouble/waste of time and money since joining plusnet.
mattyjones84
Dabbler

Quote from: kitz

It would be interesting to see your line stats.

BTW
I agree unfortunately it won't let me log on everytime I go to log onto it, it either times out or says my password is wrong
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

sounds like your router needs given a factory reset so you can get the password into it (printed on the label on the bottom of the TG58*) it might be illuminating to see what its listed as, as for the speed problem, are you on an unlimited product or has your line gone over its cap (which would result in it being deliberately limited until the next billing cycle)
it seems odd a CSR would say nothing can be done about the speed particularly if you had a higher speed to start with and after a fault rectification it suddenly cant go back up unless you went over a usage limit and they just didn't explain it very well
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
mattyjones84
Dabbler

I've only been a customer since July it took them almost a month to get the broadband working its been slow since day one which is the reason for the engineer coming out. He found a fault which was fixed but this has done nothing to increase the speed of the broadband.
I'm on unlimited broadband so shouldn't be capped.
Reset router turned it off for 30 minutes turned it on and off but no go with the username and serial number
I think its pretty much safe to say nothing that plusnet have given me broadband wise is working.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi mattyjones84,
I've taken a look at your line and can see that your attenuation is 74.5 on your downstream which is very long, are you able to connect to your test socket to see if anything changes?
The router password(serial number) is in uppercase, have you been able to log in?
mattyjones84
Dabbler

I've tried it in upper case and lower case but not working at all.
The router is about a foot away from the socket not in any extensions - the engineer who attended the other day said given that fact there is never any point putting it in the test socket.
I'll be happy to give it a try if you think it'll help when I am home from work at 2pm.
nanotm
Pro

tbh if pushing the factory reset button (little thing you need a paper clip to push)  and waiting for it to fully reboot and the password doesn't work the router is borked
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: mattyjones84
The router is about a foot away from the socket not in any extensions - the engineer who attended the other day said given that fact there is never any point putting it in the test socket.

The engineer was an ignorant idiot!
If you have other telephone sockets they will be connected to the back of the removable part - using the test socket eliminates them. Even if you don't have extension sockets there could be a fault on the removable part or it may not be making a good connection.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nanotm
Pro

@Jelv
whilst your right, would it not be more pertinent to get a none borked router to run any tests on ?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've arranged for a replacement router to be sent out to you with a returns bag for the possible faulty one.
I'd certainly recommend connecting to your test socket if possible, let us know how you get on with the new router too.
mattyjones84
Dabbler

New router put in
Same dismal speed
Plugged into test socket
nanotm
Pro

if the DLM was triggered it could of zero'd out your connection and nothing can be done until the line is stable for 24hours, then your able to ask for a line reset and after a few hours (the time it takes to happen) your speeds should improve
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: mattyjones84
Same dismal speed

Dismal sync speed or dismal speed test result?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)