cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects when phone used

plustrev
Grafter

Disconnects when phone used

Hi,I am hoping for a bit of advice and some opinions.
It concerns one of my referrals, well the only one in fact, he has been a Plusnet customer for about 2 months now and contacted me last week to say he was getting frequent disconnections. I feel resonsible for this and advised him, as I think did the Plusnet fault team, to plug his router into the test socket for a few days. This he did and reported back to me that things were better. So I said the best thing would be to get an ADSL Nation face plate.
This he did and I went to fit it at the weekend. All was fine, syncing at 2Meg (60db down attenuation!) and I used the telephone to dial the quiet test. Lo and behold the internet disconnected. Suspecting a faulty faceplate I plugged a filter into the test socket and used the telephone and the internet diconnected again. I checked that there were no other cabling connected to the line in of the NTE. This could have been happening ever since he joined Plusnet, or even before?, as he was not a regular internet or phone user and just did not notice..
So 2 filters used and direct in the test socket my diagnoses is a fault in the exchange.
What do others think and what is the best course of action. His router is the Plusnet supplied Tecnicolor.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disconnects when phone used

A few of things to try
Does the internet cut out when there is an incoming call.
If it does try calling the number with the phone unplugged - do you get the same effect
If you do it is probably a line/exchange fault
If you don't it may be a faulty phone so can you check with another phone - corded preferably
plustrev
Grafter

Thanks for the very quick reply Jim.
Yes it disconnects on both I/C and O/G calls so I will get him to try your suggestion about ringing with the phone disconnected.
Yes we tried it with 2 different phones the corded one I was trying to do the quiet test on and also his portable one.
If it looks like an exchange fault what is Plusnet's likely respnse, ie will they insist on an engineers visit or just pass it straight to the exchange.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unless the testing shows up a line fault it will require an engineer visit as they will need to witness the effect themselves and, using their test gear, attempt to identify the reason
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If the fault still occurs after you've tried all that (on the assumption it's not a cordless phone), best to try another modem/router to be sure that hasn't become faulty.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi,
If you could get your friend to raise a fault via <a href="https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults/">Broadband Troubleshooter</a> then we can look into this, you can pop the ticket number in here once its been raised and we'll keep you in the loop. Smiley
Chris
plustrev
Grafter

Thanks Chris. Will do, he is away until Thursday so will be after then.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Cool, let us know if anything changes in the meantime.