Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects when phone rings

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Disconnects when phone rings

Sometimes when the phone rings or when we phone out the broadband disconnects.  Sometimes it's just PPoA and other the line drops completely. I have tried different filters and the face place and back-plate are fairly new as it the cable into the house. Any ideas please.
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Disconnects when phone rings

raise a fault
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi,
Answers to a few questions may help diagnosis.

Are you on a long line?
How far are you from the exchange?
Is there any noise or crackle on the line?
Has your account been upgraded to ADSL2+?
What is your connection speed?
What sort of phone is it? Fixed cord or cordless? How old is it? Have you tried with another phone?
Which router are you using ?

Is  it possible to look at the router stats? Sync speed, Signal to noise ratio  and error information will help diagnosis.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Long line should make no difference, nor will upgrading to ADSL2+. Faults will. Do the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2. Even if that's clear, report a Phone Fault anyway. It's usually a bad joint somewhere.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Don't forget there's an issue with Max Premium on Marconi exchange equipment that manifests as a huge number of errors when the phone rings; usually leading to a loss of sync.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

True, but unless glloyd has moved recently to an area with a clapped out old 20CN exchange ......
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Hi
Anotherone said
Long line should make no difference, nor will upgrading to ADSL2+. Faults will. Do the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2. Even if that's clear, report a Phone Fault anyway. It's usually a bad joint somewhere.

I have encountred this issues personally and with other customers (all my neighbours!) and it has been a combination of a long line and other issues. It can still ocur even if the line is in perfect condition.
Jelv said
Don't forget there's an issue with Max Premium on Marconi exchange equipment that manifests as a huge number of errors when the phone rings; usually leading to a loss of sync
which I think is right.
The Openreach engineer who fixed my fault had worked at BT's test and research centre near Ipswich, he rang them and they told him that System X (Marconi) POTS equiment and a different make (Ferranti ?) DSLAM are sometimes incompatible on a medium to long line. ADSL 2+ -  can bost the sync to much faster, more usable speeds but  this can result in high FEC errors when the ring pulse is generated resulting in a loss of sync in these circumstances. The fix, was to manualy wind down the sync rate to a level that does not produce so many errors. He obviosly knew what he was talking about and the fix worked immediately, albeit with  a small  loss of sync speed.  However I'm now on FTTC, so the issue is unlikely to recur.
GPS
(modiefied - thanks to Cedlor)
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This has only started happening recently and does not happen every time. Normally I have a very stable connection of 1,000 hours or more. With all the network changes that might have something to do with it so I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The disconnects are between you and the exchange, the network changes are way upstream of that and so will not re related.
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: gpsmout
Anotherone said

I have encountred this issues personally and with other customers (all my neighbours!) and it has been a combination of a long line and other issues. It can still ocur even if the line is in perfect condition.

If the line is in perfect condition and that happens, it implies there is a fault somewhere else, either customer premises or at the exchange. We encountered one last year where it was likely to be the Splitter Card at the exchange, but BT Operate just didn't want to know (according to the BTw chap!) Roll_eyes  Long lines per se do not cause these problems. There are plenty on long lines in rural areas 6-7km that don't have such problems - slow speed because of line length - yes.
Quote from: gpsmout
Jelv said
Don't forget there's an issue with Max Premium on Marconi exchange equipment that manifests as a huge number of errors when the phone rings; usually leading to a loss of sync
which I think is right.

It certainly is (I don't think I implied otherwise) but to be absolutely clear that is not ADSL2+ 21CN equipment.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there, glloyd. If you haven't already, I would recommend going down the path of a broadband fault as when phone calls drop the broadband, this is usually one of two things; a router fault, or a line card issue at the exchange which would be looked at by an SFI (broadband engineer).
If you run through the checks at http://faults.plus.net and then complete the troubleshooter if the problem persists, our faults team will investigate further.
Hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry Anoush, there are some more different faults that can cause these issues, a bad joint being one such fault. glloyd should also try The Phone Troubleshooter  Wink  I hope he's already done the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

I'd still suggest its worth an engineer exploring the potential problem of an incompatible System X line card and a Fearrati Mk2 DSLAM . 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@glloyd
Are you on a 20CN or a 21CN exchange?
Anotherone
Champion

I'd say 21CN going by this