cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects when phone handset is lifted?

drewley

Disconnects when phone handset is lifted?

Well, the title says it all really, yesterday it worked, today it doesn't.
This used to happen sometimes before, it was acceptable and i didn't really mind, but now, every single time either of the phone handsets are lifted, the DSL connection drops and begins reconnecting, not only does this happen when a phone is used, but also intermittently at random times.
I've changed every cable, extension cable and micro filter, and of course restarted the router several million times, hasn't made a difference  Embarrassed
Has anyone else experienced something like this? or does anyone have any ideas as to how I can resolve this?
Thanks, Chris.
5 REPLIES 5
drewley

Re: Disconnects when phone handset is lifted?

Strange... Well it now seems to be back to normal and working.
Maybe someone wants to delete this topic as its useless?
thanks.

EDIT: It is still happening to some extent, on a couple of attempts i've picked up the phone and had no dialing tone whatsoever, just silence.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Not quite the same problem but when I was with BT I had a problem whereby I could use broadband OK but would get no dialling tone or incoming calls. If I turned the Home Hub off my phone was fine. Solved by replacing the Home Hub.
Denzil
Grafter

So you have two phones - are they both on the downstream side of the filter? Do you still have problems if the router is disconnected i.e. phone only? If so you have a line problem and you need to call BT to sort it out. Don't tell them about the broadband, though, just report it as a line fault.
Are they cordless DECT phones? They have been known to interfere with some routers. Can you try a corded phone?
As alanf said, the step would be to beg or borrow a different router to see if that helps.
drewley

Thanks for your suggestions, and no they are both corded phones.
BT say they have run some checks and they cany't see anything wrong, they say I shoudl talk with plusnet and get them to raise a fault if there is a problem.
The plusnet tester came back "inconclusive" which raises my suspicions.
As for configuration, I have a double socket plugged into the master socket with a microfilter comming from one of them, then a phone connected to the phone socket on that, nothing in the DSL socket.
Then from the second socket I have an extension lead, microfilter on the end of that, a phone and router plugged in..
It worked perfectly before  Undecided
I have an alternative router here now, i'll give it a try and post my results.
Thanks
EDIT: Ok, the other router doesnt disconnect, and the internet works.
But when i listen on the phone line theres really bad noise that goes away if i turn the router off, its hard to explain what type of noise it is, its like a little crackle every half a second.
Denzil
Grafter

There is nothing wrong in principle with the way you have wired it up. Now that you have changed the router, just try swapping the filters around to see if the crackle goes away. If it does, you probably have a dodgy filter. Also, if you can, try connecting the router to a filter plugged directly into the BT socket i.e. with no extension lead. Telephone extension leads are fairly notorious for picking up interference. If that is better you could leave the router next to the socket and run a long network cable from the router to the PC.