cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects and slow speeds.

drenai
Grafter

Disconnects and slow speeds.

I moved to my current house two years ago and started with Sky broadband.  Sky broadband was terrible though and my area wasn't ideal, essentially I had limited downloads and couldn't download over 10GB a month, furthermore when I reached this limit I was throttled and had speeds of 20-80 kbps from 6am till 11pm, however when my connection wasn't throttled I had speeds of 600-900 kbps - which for my location is decent and acceptable, not that I never wished for more.
Due to this I purchased Plusnet Unlimited, which was available in my area and despite being guaranteed slower speeds then Sky, I was generally happy with the 500-600 kbps speeds I was getting because it was at least consistent and I had experienced this consistency and reliability in the past (I had PlusNet at my old address).
However for a few months now I have had terrible speeds and connections issues, I have contacted Plusnet over the phone and they told me to change wireless frequencies, which I did, numerous times to no avail.  Alas I persisted with the constant disconnects and low speeds, hoping that old reliable PlusNet would sort itself out eventually, once again to no avail.
I can tell you now that there appears to be no problems with the physical line, I have changed microfilters, changed wireless frequencies, used wired connections and nothing helps.
Therefore can someone who isn't reading off a script on the phone please take a look at your end and check if any problems are present, it feels like I am being throttled.  I cannot play on Xbox Live and it is difficult to stream programs from 4OD or IPlayer.  At the current moment I am generally considering the call for a MAC code.
TLDR: Check my connection on your end or provide a reason for the low speeds and disconnects.
Thank you, James.
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Disconnects and slow speeds.

@drenai
Sorry to read about the problems you've mentioned, especially any problems broaching this with our contact centre.
Having checked your account I could see an issue straight away. Due to a known problem we're working currently the wrong speed profile was assigned to your account. Apart from any issues directly relating from the wrong speed setting (although the wrong profile was higher in this case) it also means that traffic wouldn't have been managed correctly for you and could cause the issues with both gaming and streaming that you've mentioned.
Please let me know if you're still having issues beyond this and I'll do my best to continue helping with this.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drenai
Grafter

Adam,
Thank you very much for the quick reply, I'm incredibly grateful.  Should I notice a instant change to my connection?  Also should I reset the router or anything.
Once again, thank you.
James.
drenai
Grafter

Thankfully it seems the disconnects have stopped, although I won't be able to guarantee they have stopped since it hasn't been that long.  However download speeds are still terrible, it is almost impossible to stream without long waiting periods.  Browsing is also annoyingly slow, with websites taking a while to load.
We have speeds allowing us to barely cope, but will the profile change take a while for it to effect speeds or is it possible that it did nothing and we need to search for alternative fixes?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've looked at your line and your speed is certainly not right, I'd suggest running through our faults wizard so we can get this sorted for you.
drenai
Grafter

I did the fault wizard and I do sometimes have a noisy line.  I contacted my phone line supplier and had them do a line test, which turned up no errors.  I tested everything to do with noisy line problems, such as Micro filters and checking the test socket.  After all the checks I actually found that I had almost no noise, which is weird.
I'm going to do the fault wizard again and see.
dick:quote
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Thanks for that, leave that with our faults team and they'll investigate this further.
drenai
Grafter

Ok, thank you for the response.  I'm waiting patiently.
drenai
Grafter

Broadband Troubleshooter error
There's been a problem with our automated troubleshooting process.
Don't worry, our Faults Team will investigate it and be in touch. We'll aim to contact you within 24 hours.
[INTERNAL]This case is parked by other user
What does this mean?  Also is it possible you can show me a graph that details my disconnections?
Thanks.