cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections.

Laura1975
Grafter

Re: VPN disconnections.

HI, I've powered again the router now... and plusnet definitely saw that it was unplugged cause they've called me.
And no, I hadn't the wireless off when i've used the LAN, but I tried again and it doesn't seem to matter.

Laura1975
Grafter

Hi!
Ok, I've tried using cable and disabling the wireless but it still gets disconnected.
I've noticed that disconnections are relatively quick (few secs) and then gets connected again. In fact if I use internet it's not too noticable as it only bothers if I happen to try and open a web page in that moment. Of course VPN connection "sees" it every time and needs to re-sync with all the other related stuff... and that's why it's so annoying!
Mand
Grafter

@Laura1975,
Your connection doesn't look to be too much of an issue. I've attached the logs for the last week.
Have you tried another router at all?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Laura,
I can see one of our agents has arranged for a replacement router to be sent to you, hopefully this should resolve the problem - please let us know if not.
Laura1975
Grafter

Received another router, but same model.
I've struggled a bit with the downgrade for VPN connection compatibility and that is now sorted.
But still having disconnections as before.... still worse approaching noon (3 disconnections while i'm writing.. oh, 4!)
If it's a temperature related problem or "electrical interference" problem this is the cheapest crappiest router ever... I strongly recommend PLUSNET not to waste their image to something so cheap cause I think they still have a good customer service... but you cannot make miracles guys!!
I'll try to get myself another router, NOT a Thomson one!
Honestly .. who wants FREE TROUBLES??!
Laura1975
Grafter

Your router is not working, your connection is not working and most of all I AM NOT WORKING because of you!
I've been waiting for a month now to have a working connection and I have deadlines thati need to meet, so I don't have time to mess around anymore with your fake help!
Just tell me how to get rid of your "SERVICE" and I'll get myself another provider, that I'm VERY HAPPY TO PAY 2-3 TIMES MORE FOR A DECENT SERVICE!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To anyone reading this - this is not a Plusnet connection problem, it's the VPN software she is using that keeps dropping out when used over a wireless connection. Plusnet have posted the connection log that shows very few problems.
Moderators: It would probably help if Laura's  posts and the associated replies were extracted to their own topic instead of being mixed up with Jessica's topic.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Laura1975
Grafter

... Oh, SORRY if I posted my disconection problem together with ANOTHER CUSTOMER experiencing DISCONNECTION PROBLEMS!
This is my own topic then and THIS IS NOT A VPN PROBLEM!
The fact that VPN jumps is because it reconnects automatically every time THE CONNECTION JUMPS!
Now, I'm paying for a service that is not provided!
Waiting 10 seconds almost every time I have to open ANY web page because i need to wait to reconnect it is not what i asked for.
i don't care if it's at your end or mine... consider that you may think it's a router problem, why on earth did you send me another identical rubbish router? Just because you have LOADS of them?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There doesn't look to be anything wrong with your connection!
Quote from: Mand
@Laura1975,
Your connection doesn't look to be too much of an issue. I've attached the logs for the last week.
Have you tried another router at all?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Multiple topics merged to keep problem in one place
Laura1975
Grafter

i would expect that a router YOU provide would work best with your connections...
what if another router (that I'm going to buy tomorrow for about £60) works instead?Huh
Are you going to reimbourse me for the price of the router and/or for the 2 weeks so-called-connection?Huh
matter of fact I won't meet my work deadline... so my damage goes beyond that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: jelv
Moderators: It would probably help if Laura's  posts and the associated replies were extracted to their own topic instead of being mixed up with Jessica's topic.

Quote from: Oldjim
Multiple topics merged to keep problem in one place

Thanks Jim
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Laura,
Your connection has been reliable, what has been failing is the VPN and from all the information you have posted the VPN is failing because the wireless connection keeps dropping out. We suggested you try wired and from your replies it appears that you did not successfully disable the wireless connection when you tried the wired. As I posted here I've used a number of different VPN packages. One in particular VPN package I found would just not work over a wireless connection at all (my internet connection is a rock solid 8128 that will run for weeks without any disconnections - I did a manual reconnect recently so it is currently 'only' showing 137:56:40 up time) - I ran a long ethernet cable up the stairs and took the wireless card out of the PC and it was absolutely perfect.
One thing I didn't say is that I've found the different VPN software packages are very different when it comes to handling intermittent loss of connection. Some are totally hopeless and required a manual reconnection every time, the current one I'm using (Juniper Secure Access SSL VPN) is excellent - I've deliberately disconnected/reconnected the broadband connection to get on to a different gateway and it recovered perfectly without me doing anything. On another I had to ask the IT department to turn on the roaming option on the VPN gateway and it only then handled disconnections correctly.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Laura1975
I'm sure is the connection cause I'm right now at my sister's place and works fine, so it isn't the Uni or my pc.

Is this still the case - it works consistently with no dropouts? If so how were you connecting to your sister's router and what router does she have?
Laura1975
Grafter

Now that i smashed your 2 routers and throw them in the lake, I've bought another router.
£60 after I still have the same problem.
FIRST: I repeat, THIS IS NOT A VPN CONNECTION! If i've not been clear before, this happen ALSO WITH NORMAL INTERNET! AND WITH ETHERNET CABLE PLUGGED AND WIRELESS OFF! I used the fact the VPN reconnect automatically just to HIGHLIGHT the fact the the connection drops very often.
SECOND  I have used this computer AND the VPN connection for 4 years of my PhD. Never got this problem. except since when I've started my connection with you. Or you're telling me that the department that invented Erbium Doped Fibre Amplifiers has bad telecom?