Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections.

Laura1975
Grafter

Disconnections.

Hi!
i'm a new customer and I've tried my usual VPN connection with the university server, but it doesn't work!
I'm sure is the connection cause I'm right now at my sister's place and works fine, so it isn't the Uni or my pc.
I've already checked the firewall and it is off.
Normal internet surfing often loose connection too (but I hope is just settling itself)
Any suggestion?
Thank you!
Laura
98 REPLIES 98
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: VPN disconnections.

Hi,
Welcome to the forums.
If you're using a PlusNet supplied router you may need to upgrade the firmware as there was a probelm with VPN in some versions.
See here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
What sort of VPN is it and what router are you using?
Laura1975
Grafter

it's a Thomson router... just received! .. I think I have to go through the uodate of the firmware...
If it's a known problem how it is not resolved beforehand?
I've just started and I've regret getting this router already twice: first it was sent off the day that my connection was suppose to start running... so I had to wait 3 days before getting it (postman's fault too), then this (a whole day worth of work wasted trying to figure out what was wrong)....
If I'll ever recommend a friend I'll definitely tell them to get their own router!!
Thanks anyway!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Laura1975
If it's a known problem how it is not resolved beforehand?

Because we have a shed load of stock still with the non-PPTP compatible firmware installed (8.2.23.0). Whilst we've a revised firmware build that isn't subject to these problems, it won't be shipped as default until the current stock is depleted. We could recall it all and reflash the devices but that's very costly and time consuming and certainly isn't worth the hassle when considering the very small proportion of the customer-base that use PPTP-based VPN solutions.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Laura1975
Grafter

That's fair enough and I understand!
But if you allow me I'd suggest you could send a letter  with the router (or a mail) saying "if you are experiencing this problem, this is known and here is the solution"!
Anyway, this forum is a very useful tool!!
Cheers!
Laura1975
Grafter

Me too...  Sad
maybe I should just throw away that router...
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Laura1975
But if you allow me I'd suggest you could send a letter  with the router (or a mail) saying "if you are experiencing this problem, this is known and here is the solution"!

It's an idea, but I'm still not convinced it's an overly productive or cost-worthy one. We sniffed the traffic on the network a while back to find out what volume of PPTP traffic there was and IIRC it was less than 200 individual IP's over a predetermined period of time. That's completely off the top of my head although I could probably dig out the actual figures if needs be.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Laura1975
Grafter

I'm using a BT ADSL V 1.0 filter.. it's fixed on the wall!!
Please let me know what's going on cause I'm trying to work and keep losing connection and it's frustrating and upsetting!
Laura1975
Grafter

Strangely it seems that on their end they don't register the disconnection, but still we do.
Strangely every time i get disconnected I have to refresh the connection (not just refresh the page), recall the VPN and recall the service i'm using through VPN (just refresh the pages is not enough)... a nightmare!!
Today I've noticed it gets worst around lunchtime.
In the meantime the customer service said that are going to send me another router...
CAN I LEAVE PLUSNET??? I cannot cope with this rubbish... I NEED TO WORK!!!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Laura1975:
What account type are you on?
Are you connected to the router wired or wireless?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Laura1975
Grafter

I'm on the one with 60GB download.
I've tried changing the filter, removing the fixed filter on the wall (aceessing the original socket), changing the channel on the router... nothing seems to work but I can tell that sometimes is worst than others (cause I've set my VPN to reconnect automatically and while writing this message appeared already 3 times).
I'm using Explorer... Did anyone tried or is using some other BROWSER? (like Firefox ..)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You didn't answer my question about whether you connected wired or wireless to the router, but I'm guessing by your comment about changing the channel on the router that it's wireless.
I have an uber-stable 8128 connection. I use VPN constantly and over the last two or three years have had to change the VPN software several times (they've changed the VPN gateway hardware a few times). I've found that the various VPN software packages react very differently to timeouts - some handle it very well others very badly. One particular package I had to use on a PC upstairs (I was working for two clients and had to use different VPN packages for each) and found that it was absolutely hopeless over wireless with constant dropouts. I ended up with a long ethernet cable trailed up the stairs so that I could use it wired - The VPN was then perfect.
If you are using wireless I recommend you try wired to establish whether the problem is the connection to the router or from the router onwards.
Laura1975
Grafter

JELV: I was trying to anwer but got stuck.... I'm also using ethernet cable but have the same problem. Strangely, it now says that the cable is disconnected when is not, while I'm using the wireless!
ADAMWALKER: To bring the connection back I have to use a "connectivity diagnostic" software (built-in my toshiba laptop) cause as i said when I have the connection just refresh the page is not enough. I usually use "ISI Web of knowledge" website through my University VPN connection. As I said I keep seeing the VPN notification popping up and any time I get VPN disconnected I need to relaunch ISI again...
This morning seems particularly crazy, so i'm happy to unpower the router as soon as i post this. I'll keep it unpowered till 12.00 so I'll get back to check then.
Thank you
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Laura1975: I'm 90% certain that your problems are local and nothing to do with Plusnet.
When you've tried using the ethernet cable had you disabled the wireless?