Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Disconnections

Well the stats aren't much different, including the Upstream errors, not an awful lot different from 18 months ago either Shocked
You may as well swap back to your faceplate when convenient using the same procedures.
There certainly appears as though there may be issues with the upstream, possibly due to the 585. That isn't the latest firmware.
See here.  There's a few different versions, I need to read that pdf Release notes.
How do you feel about attempting an upgrade yourself? Within your abilities?
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Yeah. I've upgraded previous routers with no issues. I'll give it a go and see if it helps. I'm night shift all week so may not get back to you for a while so dont worry if I go quiet.
Anotherone
Champion

The primary different between the versions that I can see is if you need to use VPN. Do you need to use VPN?
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

No, I dont use VPN. I guess upgrading the firmware would be pointless then?
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry, it's the primary difference between 2 possible upgrades.
Anotherone
Champion

Sounds like 8.2.23.0 would do then, the other is 8.2.6.5  You can read all the notes and comments down the page. Can always down load the relevant utility and both versions and see how one goes. Try the other if you have issues.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

For some reason the upgrading isnt working, it gets to the third step, and then stops and gives an error saying something like ' error installing upgrade' or some totally useless information like that. Pffff!!!
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, we'll have to get a CRT person to get the Products team to have a look at yours and see whether they can "push" it to you.
Is it Plusnet firmware on there at the moment? Does the current firmware version and Model details all tie up with that needed for the upgrade?
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

It currently has Plusnet firmware on it. Version 7.4.4.7 and is a TG585 V7.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Coincidentally - or not, who knows! I have just received a phonecall from yourselves offering a deal on fibre. I'm guessing fibre is more stable and less prone to disconnections? Is that right?
Anotherone
Champion

Yeh right! Hmmm. Huh
btw I'm a customer just like you Wink Plusnet staff have a Plusnet logo next to their name.
OK, joking aside, depending on where your Fibre Cabinet will be, you'll certainly get faster speed. No reason for ADSL to be unstable unless there's a line or hardware fault which can happen with Fibre as well, as it's still the copper from the Cab to you. Generally speaking Fibre is usually better. It really depends on what your usage is likely to be, how many people using the connection at the same time etc.
Anyway stick your phone number in here and post the results but not your phone number (just do a copy and paste with the cursor).
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Featured Products
Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)
Downstream Range(Mbps)
Availability Date
High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 66.8 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 54 20 18.2 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 15.5 -- 14 to 17.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 15.5 Up to 1.5 14 to 17.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Anotherone
Champion

Hi, sorry not to have got back to you sooner. Well the speeds you should get there on Fibre are very good based on those estimates. Just before the estimate figures at the top, it should tell you which Cabinet you are connected to. They usually have their numbers clearly marked, so you should be able to take a short walk and see where it is. The Fibre Cabinet may not be far from it.  The distance you are from your Fibre cabinet will be the distance between the two + the distance from the normal cabinet, via your DP (which may be a pole or pillar) and then to your house.
Right, back to this firmware upgrade. I assume you've got the utility unzipped and the relevant files in an appropriate folder.
When you say you are getting to the third step, do you mean here or here?
You haven't altered the IP address of the 585 at all? I'll see if someone more familiar with upgrading the 585 knows of the potential issues.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Having been asked if I can suggest anything to avoid the software updating problem, nothing direct I'm afraid. Sad
I never updated a 585 v7 though updated a 585 v8 several times (starting from software pre-dating the first official version). My first update used a Windows XP desktop and worked fine. Subsequently I tried updating using a Windows Vista 32-bit desktop and it failed in the third step every time.
I connected up a Windows XP laptop (wired - using a static IP) and that worked each time.
Whilst I used a static IP, I think others found updating worked with a DHCP assigned one. Contact with the router was lost in either case during the final stages of the upgrade, and (in my experience) a factory reset/reconfiguration (which could be done by TR069) was needed to get communications re-established.
Others also upgraded successfully using Windows Vista, so perhaps my problem was Ethernet card - rather than OS - related?
Since the OP hasn't had a new router for some years, rather than persisting with the TG585 v7 my suggestion is to ask Plusnet to provide a TG582n. Cost would be £5.99 P&P if the user agrees to stay for 12 months.
If the OP is interested in upgrading to Fibre and has Home Phone with Plusnet I suggest giving the Customer Options Team a call. This might result in an offer the OP finds attractive.
David
David
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

I'm getting a phone call Monday regarding an offer for fibre. Pretty good deal so I think I would be silly not to go for it.