cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Disconnections

I know there have been a few issues with the network recently but I was wondering if you could have a look at my line as for the past month or more I have been getting frequent disconnects. Its getting worse by the day. I just want to check if its you guys or my end. My router is getting old so maybe it is my end but before I buy a new one I would like to make sure there is no problem at your end. thanks.
32 REPLIES 32
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Disconnections

do the usual tests
Only use the master sockets test socket
Check your landline for noise, dial 17070 option 2, any hissing cracking is bad so report a phone fault
Also for your phone line, check if an incoming call is disconnecting your router, dial 17070 option 1
Change filter/router cable and ideally try another router if you can
If you still get problems report a fault
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi DeathOfRats.
If you haven't moved since November 2012, looking at some stats you posted then, you should be running at pretty much full speed and be capable of having a fully non-Interleaved line. You are some way short of that.
So if that's the case, then you've possibly got an issue with your internal wiring (bell wire) or maybe using a (or some) iffy filter(s).
Do all your Microfilters look similar to this?
Checking at the Test Socket with another filter (& no phone connected) as Gus has mentioned, will indicate if that's the case if you post some stats when connected to the Test socket. However, checking you have no noise on the line is the first step.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Hi. I tried the phone test and I didn't hear any hissing or crackling. The only way to describe it was a VERY quiet buzz, almost inaudible. So hopefully that's fine. As for filters, I don't have any. My modem is connected directly to a filtered faceplate. The XTE-2005 from adslnation if memory serves me right. As I say, my router is the original one supplied by plusnet when I first joined many years ago so is getting old. I have had the faceplate in for a few years without issue and its only recently things are getting steadily worse. I've sort of convinced myself it s my router but wanted to rule everything else out before buying a new one.
Thanks!
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Here are my stats in case they are any use.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:42:11
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,080 / 20,207
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 2.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 14.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 54 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 54 / 3
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 623,608 / 2
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Can a router affect your stats or is it the line?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi DeatofRats,
Depends on what you mean!
A router should be reasonably passive and simply report the line's stratus.  However, some routers can be configured to tweak SNRM, which is alright on a good line, but a very bad idea on a poor line and thus impact the lines performance.
Further some routers calculate certain measures differently and thus the line stats are "wrong" when set against more recognised measurement methods.  For example one poster today reports of his modem claiming the line attenuation to be 41dB whilst two other modems he has report 30dB.  The line's synch speed is more in keeping with the latter figure.
Finally a failing router can have a marked impact on performance, especially one which does more error recovery than is necessary - for example I have seem TG routers go bananas reporting FEC events on a line and a nother router report very few.
So it depends - why do you ask?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Probably my bad, think I have 2 questions rather than1 . Not sure if I meant stats or not. Was really just wondering if the recent spate of dropped connections are more likely to be line or router related. Also Anotherones reply suggests my stats should be much better than they actually are so that is probably what got me thinking about stats.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

At the moment I have no reason to believe that your modem/router may be failing.DaethOfRats. The stats are very similar to those 18months or so ago. I would have expected there to be marked differences if the modem/router had been failing.
I think it would be good to try a Microfilter similar to this plugged into the test socket to see what the differences may be. This would rule out the Faceplate playing any role in this.  Faceplates and Filters can fail.
I suggest that you do a change in daylight hours, login to the modem/router first and click Disconnect on the Internet PPP session, then wait a minute before powering down the modem/router. When you've done the change, take about 10 minutes off-line, then power up, log in and click Connect. Post up the new stats.
I'm guessing that's a TG585 you've got there, but don't know which version and how old, also whether it has the latest available firmware?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I think what Anotherone is hinting at is - if we believe the reported line attenuation, you should be seeing a synch rate of 24Mbps (do you live in the exchange?) at a SNRM of 6dB.  Your synch is a sixth slower at a lower SNRM.  That represents a sizeable gap  between what you have and should have.
Remember this is based on reported attenuation and recall what I said above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

My router is indeed a TG585 v7 with Software Release: 7.4.4.7. I will give the microfiber/ test socket a go and let you know the results!.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Stats with microfilter connected to test socket.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:48
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,072 / 19,855
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 14.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 3.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 623,811 / 2
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Lol, and no I dont live in the exchange!! But it is pretty close!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Did you power down the router between these two sets of stats?
It looks certain that the error counters were cleared.  However the US HEC count is massive, the second one slightly higher than the first in 5mins compared to 42 mins.
I smell coloured raw herrings!  Does my memory serve me right that the v7 of these modems had some error management issues?
Kevin

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Yeah. I did as asked. I disconnected from the router from the router pages. Switched off router. Connected filter to test socket.waited about 20 mins. Restarted router and then posted these stats. Is there a way to manually reset the HEC error count just to make sure.