cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections revisited

Mav
Fixes: 514

Disconnections revisited

Since moving to our current property 4 years ago the Broadband has been flaky with periods of regular dropped connections resulting in sync speeds ranging from 5000 to 6000Kbps. This has been investigated several times with an engineer being called out twice; once where the faceplate was changed to a NT2000 (with a built-in filter) and second earlier this year when there was a fault on the line nearer the exchange which resulted in total loss of phone line and extremely poor BB speed that, once fixed, I had hoped would put an end to these problems. Unfortunately that has not been the case.
I tend to accept these drops in connection for long periods then either I get fed up with them or the profile has dropped too much and I start rattling my toys Wink
Here's some previous threads I've started on the issue:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112703.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110007.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97752.0.html
Current stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 19:47:53
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 5.159
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 667,49 / 1,99
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,8 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26,1 / 48,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,9 / 6,1
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 78 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2.921 / 29.432
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 65 / 132
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 125 / 1.241

Before I go about raising yet another fault I have some questions:
1) Sometimes filters can stop working and, maybe that's the case with our NT2000. If I plug the router directly into the test socket should I try it with a new external filter? How would we ascertain for certain that the NT2000's in-built filter is at fault? if the NT2000 is the culprit will PN get BTOR to replace it as it is their responsibility?
2) I will run RouterStats again for a while but usually the SN Margin hovers around the 6dB mark reducing to maybe 1 or 2 by late evening but the drops don't always coincide with the low SN margin. They can happen any time of the day.
3) Just ran a BT Wholesale test and their profile is 4.55 and PN's profile was 3.5. Just got off the phone to CS and the agent has kindly raised your profile to 6 but, obviously that will change.
4) What else can/should be done to make my line more stable?
Any advice appreciated.
Edit: Added previous threads I've started on this on-issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Disconnections revisited

Hi Mav,
Sorry to see this has become a problem again.
1) Sometimes filters can stop working and, maybe that's the case with our NT2000. If I plug the router directly into the test socket should I try it with a new external filter? How would we ascertain for certain that the NT2000's in-built filter is at fault? if the NT2000 is the culprit will PN get BTOR to replace it as it is their responsibility?

Yes, as you say if you can connect to the test socket, that will bypass the built in filter, but remember to use an external one if you have one.
4) What else can/should be done to make my line more stable?

Try the test socket/filter first as it would be good to get that ruled out first. It's hard to know what to suggest at this stage as the SNR looks appropriate to your line despite that being an issue in the past and I can't see anything else obvious.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Disconnections revisited

Thanks for the reply, Adam.
I'll hunt out a new filter over the weekend and plug directly into that and then the Master Socket and monitor things for a week or so.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still