Disconnections Low SNR at Evening

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Disconnections Low SNR at Evening

Quote from: ONeill
Update
Just had the exchange resync me and now back to what it should do but the only thing is, it's going to happen again  Cry

Hi,
Great graph, it tells us a great deal - there is a definite on / off transition of the problem - we can see the size of the impact of the interference.  Line disconnections are not helpful as the reference point keeps moving SNRM / synch speed.
We need to get you a stable connection which can be used to profile the problem. Next time you see yourself 'hit' with the problem, drop the PPP session and then restart the router.  This will resynch at the TARGET SNRM (usually 6dB) albeit with a slower synch speed.  Though the synch speed will be lower, you should see fewer transmission errors.  When the noise vanishes, the SNRM should jump to 9/10dB - leave the router running at this.
This should give enough 'room' for the noise to 'hit' you without bringing the link down.  You can keep working whilst watching the graph, looking for transitions and listening with your radio.  Keep a note of transition times.
Are you on good terms with your neighbours?  Try asking them about what they were using at the transition times.  If there are suspect devices, try getting them switched on / off and see if they show on the graph.  Whilst on might consider getting BTOR Rein engineers out, if the problem is not manifest when they is it, they'll not find it!  Crazy

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ONeill
Grafter

Thats what I have been doing, restarting the router gives my a sync of about 4012 and SNR of 9.6 roughly, at this it drops by 6db which still gives me a stable connection, just have to find the problem so I can it lower and stable.
I am not on good terms with my neighbours which does not help, looking at the stats and the radio it seems it's still happening now, SNR at 3.8 and while there is still noise on the radio it's abit fainter then yesterday and not has loud.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@DCT,
This reply suggests a TARGET SNRM of 9dB - can you confirm please?
Given the line looks good, is it likely that BTOR rein would engage, could locate the issue and then be able to fix it,  or is the OP on their own here?
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Here are some more detailed information which should be of some use (please see attached).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Is there anything "noteworthy" about the marked change in line attenuation around the 28th Jan?  4.5dB is around 10% (numerically) but given that is a log scale, its a good deal more in real terms!  Also the FEC rate is much higher post 30th Jan.
Kevin.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That was when they switched from 21CN ADSL1 to 21CN ADSL2+ (in other thread)
ONeill
Grafter

After about 23 hours it seems like what ever it is has calmed down and the SNR gone upto  SNR 8.0,  all though if I listen to the radio there still seems to be some interference.
Oh Townman on the 27 Jan at midnight I was switched from ADSL 1 to ADSL 2+ and I do get high error rate when the interference kicks in and forces me down to SNR 3.0 but if there is no interference and I have a good sync of about 5110 and SNR of 3.0 I am seeing low errors.
Not sure what to make of those graphs Chris  Shocked
Stupid question time, would trying my DGN3500 make a difference ?.
Edit
Spoke to see, what ever it is as just caused it to fall back down to SNR 3.0 at about 19:30
Just a wild thought if it was effecting me this much then surely it would have the same effect for other people in my area, there are a few people on BT.
ONeill
Grafter

Just another graph added  Shocked
What ever it is looked like it's stopped for a bit or at least turned down, all though if I listen to the radio it still sounds likes it is switched on but got a bit fainter, it does not sound as clear as the other day when I was messing around with the laptop.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think we should get this issue looked into as a potential REIN Issue personally.
It's happening all too often to be normal. If you haven't already, could you raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

ONeill,
Please keep the routerstats logging going.  It will give you something to show to the BTOR engineer - it is always useful to be able to show you (at least think) you know what you are talking about.  Beware of coments such as "Your monitoring changes things disinformation" which has been heard from some engineers.

ONeill
Grafter

Will keep that in mind Townman  Wink
Trying to log a fault with your link and it's taking ages to load and when it does load it comes up with an error, will keep trying.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can reply to Ticket: 80316036, as this has some historical information on it and it's still open. The ticket will go straight back to the faults team.
ONeill
Grafter

Ok Chris how do I do that ?
Never mind, found it I just click on the question and click add more details, I did get the link to work but it only came up with this pic
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's fine, it's because the fault ticket is still open and you can only open one fault at a time.
That will get picked up within 48-72 hours and the Faults Team will be in touch.
ONeill
Grafter

Thanks Chris  Grin
Just another graph to add, done it again  Cry  on the plus side it was smooth before that  Smiley