Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting, SNR margin increase and slow speed

ethos
Dabbler

Disconnecting, SNR margin increase and slow speed

Hi guys
I when I first joined I was syncing at around 2.5mbit quite decent at a 3dB margin. I ended up putting a Cisco 877 on the line which ended up re syncing me so many times I was put on a banded profile. I took the cisco 877 off and whacked the DG834G back on and it hasn't seem to of recovered since.
I'm getting a lot of re syncs, the only thing I can think of that has changed is we now have sky TV but I have double filtered that. My current stats:
Connection Speed  826 kbps  443 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.5 db 35.3 db
Noise Margin 12.4 db 14.1 db
Any ideas?  Cry
4 REPLIES 4
ethos
Dabbler

Re: Disconnecting, SNR margin increase and slow speed

I double checked the cable (from sky box to phone line) the sky chaps put in and wow, it looks pretty poor. I'll replace it with a proper cable and see if this is the root cause. Check it out:

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

That's 'orrible. If thats 4 core telephone cable they've used ( and I'm not sure it is! ) then they've used one core of each pair!! You really need to use the blue & blue/white pair OR the orange & orange/white pair to get the best advantage of the noise immunity of the twisted pair.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and that is just a junction box it is not a filter, you need a filter between that Fing a ma jig and the phone line
ethos
Dabbler

Yeah, I have proper filters on as stated in the first post. Even tried doubling up.... Which I hear a lot of people recommend with the sky boxes!
dick:quote