cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing speed lately

galaxy66
Grafter

Disappointing speed lately

i have been a customer of Plusnet for a year now and immediately joining them my speed increased and stabilised compared to what it was previously. I was enjoying speeds of around 3mb  constantly until a few months ago when it started to steadily worsen now it has been as low as 1.5mb which can be a pain at times compared to around 3mb, buffering when even watching you tube! I am not that  technically minded but I have copied this from the link supplied.
Not sure what the next step is or what this "ticket" business is all about but I am hoping something can be done about it.
Cheers.

Uptime: 24 days, 2:45:53
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Fast
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,020 / 3,264
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,264
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/GB]: 0.00 / 17.41
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 51.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1,507,309 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,838,215 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 738 / 3,020,784
11 REPLIES 11
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Disappointing speed lately

Hi there,
I've checked over your connection and it looks OK at the moment. Your router is receiving faster speeds than you are reporting. Are you currently connected wired or wireless?
Your line speed has dropped since September, has anything changed or have you added anything to your phone sockets?(Sky,Alarm etc)
A 'ticket' is a question that is raised to our support staff via <http://help.plus.net> and we'll reply back via the ticket.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which exchange are you on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
galaxy66
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi there,
I've checked over your connection and it looks OK at the moment. Your router is receiving faster speeds than you are reporting. Are you currently connected wired or wireless?
Your line speed has dropped since September, has anything changed or have you added anything to your phone sockets?(Sky,Alarm etc)
A 'ticket' is a question that is raised to our support staff via <http://help.plus.net> and we'll reply back via the ticket.

Thanks, I am connected through the mains via comtrend adaptors and nothing at all has changed during the time with Plusnet, it is currently hovering around 2mb now but it would be a lot better with around the 3mb I was getting for a a long time after joining up.
galaxy66
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Which exchange are you on?

Shilbottle exchange.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks - that rules out ADSL2+.
Your attenuation suggests you should be seeing a higher sync speed, but your noise margin isn't that high so as things are at the moment you can't sync higher.
How many telephone sockets do you have? If you have more than one do you have a master socket with a removable lower half so that you can try the test socket inside?
How is the phone line when you use it, is it clear with no background noise (you can dial 17070 and take option 2 to test this)?
galaxy66
Grafter

Just the one telephone socket of the type you mention but I do not have a cable that will fit from that to my lap top to test it. We have no interference on the line via the phone.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You really should test the phone line for noise because if there is a problem with the phone line you will get a resolution to your broadband issue a lot quicker if you get that fixed first.
You need to plug the filter in to the test socket and then router in to that. All we then need is the router stats and whether you connect to the router wired or wireless to do that doesn't matter.
galaxy66
Grafter

Back up to over 3 MB  Smiley well pleased and hope it stays like that  Cheesy
mushy
Grafter

Did you do anything to bring it back up or did it magically come back up on its own ?
galaxy66
Grafter

I noticed it was faster this evening, so did the speed test just before posting the result on here,. It is very coincidental that it has improved since expressing my disappointment on the forum so either someone on here has twiddled a few knobs or indeed it is magic  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Nothing has been tweaked from this side  Huh  you had a re-sync on the 21st and 22nd which your speeds increased.