Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing 21CN/maxDSL Comparison

Picnic
Grafter

Re: Disappointing 21CN/maxDSL Comparison

Quote from: Euge
You have to put this in you address bar on your internet explorer. It's you default gateway adress for your router
Then from there find your system status under 'advanced'. It's one of those tabs. 'Broadband line'

Thanks but sadly my Belkin N1 Vision seems to have nothing like that Sad Can't even see if it tells me what connection type it has other than PPPoA  Angry I was hoping you'd found a telnet interface or something that made the data available.
ihardcastle
Dabbler

Hi jameseh
I have only recently bought a new router as this is the last thing I could possibly try. I have tried bypassing the extention cable, I have tried a new splitter, I have tried differnet PC's and laptops (even though the restriction is technically the routers connection) and i've done line tests.
I have also submitted a line problem to PlusNet which came back as all OK which really really annoying because I have just connected my router up now after having it off all day and I have these rather poo connection stats:

Downstream    Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps) 3064 446
Noise Margin 6.9 22.1
Output power 17.5 12.6
Attenuation 44.8 20.4
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is it a router for which DMT or routerstats will work on?
These (especially DMT) can reveal information that PN don't see.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ihardcastle
Dabbler

Hi
I've tried DMT but I can't get a telnet connection to work and routerstats doesn't seem to work either. All I can do is setup the Sync and Noise settings manually but nothing happens.
I've just reconnected my router again after having it turned off all day and yet again I have got some really poor details. Something has to be wrong  Angry

Data Rate(Kbps)  3064 448
Noise Margin  6.7 20.2
Output power   18.0 12.6
Attenuation   44.7 20.4
ihardcastle
Dabbler

After numerous tickets and generic repeated responses i've decided to give in even bothering to sort out this issue. It has come down to getting BT involved which I can't be bothered doing.
All of the line tests have come back as 'ok', my hardware and configuration checks out ok, so that just leaves the exchange. After asking what the contention ratio is on my line I found out it was an appauling 50:1, it used to be 20:1. I can only think that someone is hammering their connection 24/7 downloading films, music or porm on torrents or the exchange is screwed, either way i'm not happy.
I guess it was a waste of money buying the new router after all  Undecided
James
Grafter

Hiya,
You weren't on a 20:1 variant before you moved to ADSL2+, nor were you paying additionally for a Max Premier service.  Also, it's worth pointing out that 50:1 and 20:1 haven't existed since IPStream Max was introduced in April 2007 (?).  There are however standard and enhanced traffic priorities on the BT Network (one of the differences between IPStream Max and IPStream Max Premium.  But you definitely weren't on IPStream Max Premium, so I guess that may have changed when you upgraded to Max as historically, the old 2Mbps service, when it first became a home service, was initially offered, was as a 20:1 variant.  But that was a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago!
Either way, that's absolutely nothing to do with your receiving poor sync speeds.  The differences between the two different types of contention only impacted throughput across the BT network and absolutely nothing at all to do with your sync speeds themselves, which is what you've been quoting as the data rate in your other posts.  There's ultimately something that is causing this rate to be slower than expected.
Your line is syncing beneath what is referred to as the Fault Threshold Rate.  That's the rate that's set during your initial stabilisation period and if your sync speeds drop beneath this, we have remit to raise a fault.  I'll get someone to do this for you now.
ihardcastle
Dabbler

Hi,
Yeah i'm pretty sure I was on 20:1, i've been with PlusNet (what used to be FreeOnline among others) for yonks, 2001/2002 I think back when 512kbps was considered fast. I guess your right in that some where along my upgrading paths this changed, I didn't know this which is why I was so shocked to hear it, 50:1 seems pretty poor but if that's standard then there isn't a great deal anyone can do about it hehe.
Thanks for taking an interest in the fault as well. I've had 2 or 3 generic responses after each of the line tests came back as ok telling me the same things over and over again. Hopefully something can be sorted out  Smiley
I have noticed today that the line has picked up a tad, not much but here are the stats:

Downstream Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps)  4536 447
Noise Margin 5.8 18.4
Output power 19.7 12.6
Attenuation 45.8 20.4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Not sure how you could be on something that hasn't existed for the last two years!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ihardcastle
Dabbler

Well I used to be on the old 512 connection from around 2001 then upgraded to 2mb a few years later then upgraded to 8mb a few years after that and now 20mb. One of those upgrades must have done the switch from 20:1 to 50:1.
It's not been an issue because my connection has always been fast. I've always had the line speed I was upgraded to. This contention question only came to light because I was receiving such a poor connection speed and I thought that it may be the cause of the slow down.
James
Grafter

Yep - When you moved to upto 8Mbps, you would have been moved onto the 50:1 variant (which isn't actually 50:1 but nevermind).
Do you know if I placed an order to uncap your upstream speeds at all?
ihardcastle
Dabbler

Hi Jameseh,
I haven't put in a request so I would imagine I am still capped.
Cheers.
James
Grafter

I'll raise a request now.
Should be uncapped by tomorrow morning.
ihardcastle
Dabbler

Great. Thanks.