Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differing FTTC Speed Estimates

amaye
Dabbler

Differing FTTC Speed Estimates

Hi,
My upgrade to Unlimited FTTC is going through at the moment.
When I discussed this on the phone with customer services, I was given two estimates, both saying 78Mbps.
One agent even said "wow - that's high. Do you live near the exchange?". It's right outside my house.
Anyway - I've now had a notification of the appointment on my account, and it now says my estimate is 40Mbps.
Do you think this will this be just a typo? I don't want to find out I've accidentally been put on the essentials package when I'm actually paying for the Unlimited package.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Differing FFTC Speed Estimates

Two things
Put your phone number a see what it says http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/
Second the Agent who said "wow - that's high. Do you live near the exchange?" needs retraining as it has absolutely nothing to do with distance to the exchange
amaye
Dabbler

Thanks.
To be fair, I think the agent meant to the green box rather than the exchange. Wouldn't the length of the copper from the green box to your house have an impact? My green box is on one corner of my property and the telegraph pole is on the other.
From the BT Speedchecker, I get this:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 79.9 20 19.9 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 71.8 20 17.9 -- Available
These were the level of estimate plusnet gave me on the phone, so I don't know why their last update now says 40Mbps.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it would indeed but at that distance not very much at all
I would certainly be concerned that you have been provisioned on 40/2 instead of 80/20 by accident - this has happened a few times already
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Differing FTTC Speed Estimates

Really sorry for the information you've been given there.
You've definitely been placed on the correct Product (80/20) and Package (Unlimited). Unfortunately one of the agents working the ticket wrote the wrong speed estimate. You're still on course for provision with the 80/20 speeds as estimated.
Apologies for the mix up.
amaye
Dabbler

Re: Differing FTTC Speed Estimates

Thanks Chris.