Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different router and sync speed

mike0381
Grafter

Different router and sync speed

Hi everyone.
I have recently picked up a current Plusnet Speedtouch 585 v8 to replace my ageing but reliable 580.  This one seems to be a little more stable in some ways, but it still loses the sync every time an incoming call goes through to the answering machine.  This used to happen every time the phone rang so it's slightly better.  Temporarily I have turned off my landline answering service and will live with it for now;  I know I should get an engineer in but there are some more important issues I'm sorting out including a cesspit leakage (not a nice subject).
My issue is the new router connects at a much lower sync rate than the 580 and I am stuck on a 1.5mb profile.  Currently my SNR margin is 9db and I've now been connected for over 3 days.
Is it possible you can reset it to the default of 6db so I can see if it remains stable with this router?  And it might then push me up to 1.75mb or if I'm lucky 2mb.

Thanks    Wink

Mike
10 REPLIES 10
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Different router and sync speed

Mike, it sounds like you need to change the Filter. As it sounds like your Target Noise Margin has already gone to 9dB you need to avoid it changing further.
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here. Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection.
You can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
Have you done all the usual internal wiring checks?
Edit: to correct link.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As it's the phone or the answering machine you could also try adding another filter in series between the line and these things - make sure if you do this that the router (if that's in the same socket) is plugged into the ADSL socket on the first filter and not the second as otherwise it won't work Smiley
mike0381
Grafter

Thanks guys.  I have done internal wiring checks, and tried about 4 different filters.  At the moment I'm using a good quality filtered faceplate.  Nothing makes much difference, but changing the router has helped a bit, because as long as I keep the answering machine on my phone turned off it seems to be stable (I've had a solid connection now for nearly 4 days). It's just a shame it syncs lower than the old router, which is why I want to get back to the default 6db margin.  Unfortunately I have tried adding another filter in series but it has made no difference to the disconnects.  Huh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mike0381,
Do you want me to drop it to 6 for you?
Jojo Smiley
mike0381
Grafter

Hello, yes please Jojo, I think we should try dropping it to 6 and see what happens with this new router.  Thanks    🙂
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just requested that for you, it should take effect within the next couple of hours.
mike0381
Grafter

Thanks Matt.  I have noticed it reconnected an hour ago and came back with the SN margin still around 9db, but channel mode changed to Fast instead of Interleaved.
How long do you think I should wait for the SN margin to change?  Or do you think there has been some kind of problem with the process?  Cheers    Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It can take up to 24 hours, Mike, so we'll have to wait it out Smiley
mike0381
Grafter

OK,  not that I'm impatient or anything!        Wink      I'll keep my eye on it.  In the meantime, it's back out into the garden to catch the last of the sunshine!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks as though that's done Mike. 1500 profile with 6dB SNR so if it stays like that you should get 1750 profile Smiley