cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Plusnet Profiled speed and BT IP Profile?

iammclovin

Difference between Plusnet Profiled speed and BT IP Profile?

Hi there
I've just moved over to Orange from PlusNet.  I've very impressed with there service.  However I have a query on the line speed as displayed in my connecting setting on my member area.  PlusNet state that "You can also see your current profiled speed on our network, which is designed to mirror BTs IP Profile"  The line speed quoted on my PlusNet account is 7.15mb.  My BT Profile is 6.5mb.  If what PlusNet say is true, shouldn't these two figures be effectively the same?
I've included a screen print of my router stats if this helps.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Difference between Plusnet Profiled speed and BT IP Profile?

The Plusnet IP Profile lags behind the BT IP Profile if there is a change.  Is it up to 24 hours behind?  I cannot remember the exact figure.
iammclovin

I only moved over on Monday, but was surprised to see that PlusNet had their version of my IP Profile considerably higher than BT.  Does this mean perhaps that my BT Profile should be raised in line with PlusNet (6.5 to 7.15 or similar)?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iammclovin,
Welcome to Plusnet. When your account is still first set up we always apply the maximum profile. Once we receive what's called a delta report from BT it will be matched by our system.
Jojo Smiley
iammclovin

Thanks Joanne
That's interesting.  On that basis though surely I should be achieving speeds neared to PlusNets profile (7.15), rather than speeds under 6000kbps.  The speed is actually slower than it was before the switch even though from what you say, it should be higher because of the use of PlusNet's profile.
Or have I completely misunderstood?!!!!
My speed now makes sense if based more on BT's profile but not if it's based on PlusNet's profile.
Thanks
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iammclovin,
The speed is based on the BT profile. The only time our one would make a difference is if the BT one was, say, 6000 and ours was 4000, then you'd only get 4000.
Jojo Smiley
iammclovin

Yes that makes perfect sense.
Thanks
On a separate note I signed up for your value package with 10gb limit.  I'm currently working at home and therefore connected to the internet most of the day.  I also stream Spotify a few hours a day.  I noticed from Monday to late afternoon on Wednesday I've already used 2.5gb of allowance!  Therefore it seems like the 10gb value package isn't enough for me.  I've switched my package via my account this morning to the 60gb package.  Obviously it looks like I will accede my usage before my package switches over at my next billing day (late June).  Is this ok?  PlusNet can see that I've switched to a higher usage package.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iammclovin,
Unfortunately your new allowance will not start until your next billing date. For every 5GB you go over your allowance there will be a £5.00 charge.
Jojo Smiley
Epyon
Grafter

You will either get charged for the extra you use or you can limit the spending to £0 but it will limit speeds allot till you're nex billing date.
iammclovin

Hi Jo
That does seem a bit unfair.  I discussed this issue with the sales team when I signed up.  I was concerned about whether I was on the correct package for the first month.  I was told not to worry and that I wouldn't be penalised/charged if I went over my limit in the short term.  It would only happen if I continued this over a longer period of time.  Are you telling me I was giving the wrong information?  I signed up with this package on the basis that I would be penalised for the first month if I went over my limit - and then had to upgrade.  That's not the advice I was given.
iammclovin

I think it would be completely wrong if I get charged for going over when discussed with PlusNet in the first place.  As a good will gesture I would expect not to be charged for the period before my account gets upgraded.  This was discussed with PlusNet.  Very poor service otherwise.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi iammclovin,
Hmm, that doesn't sound very good. I will feedback your comments and see if we can get the call listened to. I can add up to 5GB of extra usage at no cost as a goodwill gesture at this point. Did you sign up over the phone or call up for information then sign up yourself?
Jojo Smiley
iammclovin

Hi Joanne
Well initially I signed up over the internet.  However I was still waiting for the MAC code.  When it  arrived, I called PlusNet.  I explained I wasn't sure whether I was on the right package and whether i could change immediately as I hadn't been activated yet.  I was told this would be difficult but I could change after the first month.  I explained how surprised I was that you can change on a month by month basis and how flexible this was.  I then asked about usage, stating I was worried about potentially going over my allowance if initially on the value plan.  I asked if I would penalised.  I was specifically told not to worry about going over and that PlusNet wouldn't penalise me.  I got the impression from the call that PlusNet were pretty good about this sort of thing and only charge if someone constantly  abuses this .  I actually asked on this basis why do you have a £5 if you wanted to use 5gb extra if you wouldn't be charged and then decide to go up to the extra package.  I was told it's just down to personal preference.
There are a few things I'm not happy about here.
* The initial conversation where it appears I have been given the wrong information.
* That I have been offered that PlusNet can "listen to the conversation" - suggesting that PlusNet don't believe the customer and think he's actually lying - I find that quite offensive.
* Even if I hadn't had the above confirmed to me - to actually jump on the chance to charge the customer when he's been active for literally 3.5 days - especially considering you can see that he/she has moved to a higher package to cover the usage within 2 days of being active is very poor service.  When I was with Orange, they would write to you if you went over their usage.  To actually charge immediately the moment you go over as a new customer is very poor.
I went over to PlusNet after much deliberation because of the glowing reviews and awards.  The initial start here makes me think I made a big big mistake.  The expression goes "first impressions count". 
Not impressed one bit.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI iammclovin,
I do know what you're saying and I certainly wouldn't imply you were lying. We would need to listen to the call to make sure the agent is trained in the correct procedures and policies and to assure that others aren't given incorrect information in the future. Can you tell me the time and date of the call so I can pinpoint it?
When I was with Orange, they would write to you if you went over their usage.  To actually charge immediately the moment you go over as a new customer is very poor.

We sent you an email to your contact email address when you created your account...
[quote=email on 14th May @ 15:32]
** What if I need more than my included usage?
----------------------------------------------
Your product comes with a 10GB usage allowance. If you need more usage, we'll automatically add it as you need it, costing £5 for each 5GB of data transfer.
If you'd rather we didn't, or want to set your maximum usage, you can change this option in Manage My Usage:
https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/
We also send an email when you get close to your limit and when you go over.
Jojo Smiley
iammclovin

Hi Joanne
I ordered PlusNet over the net on Saturday 14 May.  I received my MAC code on Monday 16 May.  I'm not sure exactly when I rang up, but the MAC code was received from Orange at 11:20am, so I probably called within the next 2 hours of this on 16 May.
Thank you for getting back to me Joanne.  I'm sure you realise that this isn't directed at you personally, but I do want this sorted out.  I don't expect to be charged for going over my allowance before my account switches over to the Extra package.  Thank you for confirming PlusNet e-mail when the user goes near or over their allowance/usage.