cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I buy the correct router?

Triggster

Did I buy the correct router?

Hello folks. Had plusnet fibre just over a month now. Wish I had done it sooner, much better!

Anyhows. I received the modem and net gear router from plusnet. However the router doesnt cover about 1/4 of the house so at the far end of the house I have my PC which is connected to a set of home plugs which goes into the router. I bought a TP Link TL-WR841N 300 mbps cable router. My thought was that if I did Modem > Homeplugs > TP Link router > PC that Id have a wired conenction this end of the house as well as wireless. Problem is I cant seem to get it working.

Have I bought the wrong thing or is there some settings I should be changing?
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Did I buy the correct router?

If you just want a wired connection to your PC then you don't need the second router; just connect directly from your home plug to your PC.
Otherwise, you need to connect the home plug to one of the Ethernet ports on your router, not the input port you would use if connecting to a (cable) modem.  And you need to turn off DHCP on your second router.  And, for simplicity, you need to set the IP address of your second router to be 192.168.0.x (x not=1) so it falls with the address range of your Netgear router (assuming you have not changed the default range). 
knowdice
Rising Star

He is on fibre, so just trying to extend the Ethernet from the VDSL modem to his router...that's the way I see it.
So VDSL Modem > Homeplugs > TP Link router > PC should work.
But, VDSL Modem+Plusnet Router > Homeplugs > TP Link router > PC comments as above from ReedRichards
Don't know much about Homeplugs, but are they indicating that they are "seeing" each other?

Triggster

Thanks for the replies.
As knowdice said I'm sort of extending the network. I can get the homeplugs to work fine by plugging them directly into my pc and the netgear router at each side, however I want wireless internet in that area of the house.

When I had it set up: VDSL > Homeplug > TP link router > PC
I got the all the usual flashing lights, nothing to indicate anything is wrong but it wouldnt connect to the internet.

I'll have a go what you said Richard this weekend.

Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using 'ReedRichards'  configuration exactly as described, it should work perfectly.
Triggster

Just want to say thank you, worked perfect.
Ellis
Grafter

Homeplugs work automatically, just plug them into mains and connect to equipment with Ethernet cables (Cat5).
catshill
Grafter

Can you confirm that homeplugs only work if plugged into the socket itself, ie not an extension lead?
ffox
Pro

They work OK on an extension lead but you may lose a bit of speed.