Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial Up Problem

dsmail
Grafter

Dial Up Problem

Hi,
Hope this is corrcet area to post this question.
My wife's newish Toshiba lappy running Vista Home works connects wirelessly fine to our home PN Broadband network.
When she's working away I set up a Dial Up connection to PN so she could do the basics whilst away from home.
Problem is, the connection is successfull according to the dialogue boxes in yet she is unable to check email  or browse with IE which is NOT set to offline. Perhaps settings / config needs attention somewhere?Huh
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

8 REPLIES 8
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: Dial Up Problem

Are you using the same login details as your broadband connection?
If so you may be served the same IP address, which will cause problems. You can create a free pay-as-you-go dial-up account, to avoid this from happening.
Chilly
dsmail
Grafter

Yes I am using the same login details. How do I create a dial- up PAYG account as you suggest
Thanks for your quick reply.
Dave
chillypenguin
Grafter

dsmail
Grafter

Thanks. Took a look at this but it asks for a "connect from" tel number.
The whole point of this connection would be to connect Dial Up from anywhere.
How best to proceed?
Dave
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

If you just want a basic dialup that uses 0845 call rates then try this site:
http://www.free-dialup.net/
It doesn't require you to sign up or anything just use the phone number and username and password on the front page to connect!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Enter your own telephone number, it is the one Plusnet would use to contact you. Once set up you can dial in from anywhere since it is PAYG.
A new username needs to be chosen for the account, and it will have its own email address. However picking up email from your broadband email account is possible using the appropriate username(+mailboxname if appropriate) and password. Doing the reverse from your broadband account is also possible.
Sending email using the broadband email account name is also possible (and vice-versa).
David
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: drunkenmonkey
It doesn't require you to sign up or anything just use the phone number and username and password on the front page to connect!

For the small issue of signing up, using PlusNet's service should mean that you do not have issues such as SMTP not working, when swapping between services.
dsmail
Grafter

Thanks for all your views and advice on this.
Much appreciated!
Dave