cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosing broadband speed drop

burnham74

Diagnosing broadband speed drop

Hello,
We have been a Plusnet customer since February of this year. When we signed up we were advertised speeds of 2Mbps, however we have thankfully been getting a stable 6Mbps since we joined; until today. Now we're getting around 2.5-3Mbps.
Here are the stats on the line.
Current Rate (kbps): 448 (Upstream) 8128 (Downstream)
Max Rate (kbps): 1176 (Upstream) 8128 (Downstream)
SNR Margin (dB): 25 (Upstream) 6.1 (Downstream)
Line Attenuation (dB): 22 (Upstream) 43.8 (Downstream)
Error (Pkts): 0 (Upstream) 0 (Downstream)
When I first looked tonight, the downstream rate was around 3000kbps. I restarted the modem/router and this went back up to the usual 8128kbps, but the speeds remain the same. It appears (through my limited knowledge/Googling) that there may be an issue with the SNR Margin.
I would appreciate any and all input as to why there has been a sudden drop in speed, and how to resolve it.
Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Diagnosing broadband speed drop

Nothing wrong with your SNR margin - you're on full speed ADSL Max there. You may have had a brief period of low synch, causing your Current Line Speed to drop.
Your IP Profile might be worth checking - try running the BT Speedtester and do the Further Diagnostics to see what yours is currently at.
Might also be worth having a look to see if ADSL2+ is available on your exchange - search on Sam Knows.
burnham74

Re: Diagnosing broadband speed drop

Thanks for the reply, Brian.
I've done the BTWholesale Performance Test and it said:
" Download speed achieved during the test was - 2.63 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3 Mbps"

The only things showing on SamKnows for the exchange is ADSL and ADSL Max. Everything else is crossed out (one of the perks of the countryside?)
So would I be correct in assuming that I just need to wait for the sync speed to increase, which it does on its own over time?
Thanks again!