cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device specific control with Safeguard?

tonydata

Device specific control with Safeguard?

Hi there, does anyone know if Plusnet Safeguard offers device specific access control like BT's "Access Control" - meaning you can switch on (and off) access to the home wifi network at specific times for specific devices in the house?
Many thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: Device specific control with Safeguard?

I know you can choose which times you want the Safeguard to be on, but not sure if you can target certain devices. Also, it doesn't really work as well as you'd like it to.
For example, when trying to block certain categories, it works absolutely fine on all devices. When unblocking those same categories, they're still blocked on my phone. On the laptop, no problems but on a smartphone (S3) unfortunately not.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It's not the function of safe guard to do what you want.
Which router do you have and what's the firmware level?
The TG582n with the 10.2.2.B firmware has fairly good gradual granular controls for restricting access times for individual devices.  It is essential though that you ensure that said devices also have fixed IP addresses managed by dhcp.  See http://192.168.1.254/device_tod.lp?be=0&l0=4&l1=1&?be=0 - Device access scheduler.
The new 2704n has very little useful user selectable options.
"No you cannot use the Internet after 9pm (or whenever) if you do not want me to take it away from you altogether..." ought to work equally well!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Townman
"No you cannot use the Internet after 9pm (or whenever) if you do not want me to take it away from you altogether..." ought to work equally well!

Grin
tonydata

Quote from: Townman
The TG582n with the 10.2.2.B firmware has fairly good gradual granular controls for restricting access times for individual devices.  It is essential though that you ensure that said devices also have fixed IP addresses managed by dhcp.  See http://192.168.1.254/device_tod.lp?be=0&l0=4&l1=1&?be=0 - Device access scheduler.

Thanks for the help, technical and parental!