cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device can't connect

Jax4Tara
Hooked

Device can't connect

My laptop is not connecting to my Plusnet router. A factory reset has failed to solve the problem. No other devices seem to be having trouble. 

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Device can't connect

I assume you're using Wireless?

What router are you using?

I think most of them (in this day and age now) will tell you what devices are connected if you go to the admin page so see if your laptop is listed. Or look at any logs to see why a connection is being refused.

Also, let us know what behaviour you're seeing on the laptop, such as any errors.

Jax4Tara
Hooked

I assume you're using Wireless?

Yes, but it also failed to connect via an Ethernet on a repeater.

What router are you using?

Plusnet Hub One

I think most of them (in this day and age now) will tell you what devices are connected if you go to the admin page so see if your laptop is listed. Or look at any logs to see why a connection is being refused.

It's shown as currently connected 2.4 GHz Wireless: Error message: (16778.570000) Lease for IP issued for host . Lease duration: 1440 min

Also, let us know what behaviour you're seeing on the laptop, such as any errors.  

No issues whatsoever.  

Jax4Tara
Hooked

It seems plusnet are blocking it:

IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP [37.120.149.174]:22-​>[143.159.148.7]:22 on ppp3

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Jax4Tara 

The log file message is actually your routers firewall blocking a SSH attempted to gain access to remote manage it. You will loads of these messages from various IP addresses on most days. This is normal

Dan

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Jax4Tara 

I am going to assume Windows 10 here.  go to the search bar at bottom left of your screen and type cmd and then select Command prompt application.

when that opens type ipconfig /all and then press enter.

see what IPv4 address is allocated to your device, it needs to be in the range 192.168.1.1  to 192.168.1.253

Check your "default gateway" is 192.168.1.254

Also see if "DHCP Enabled" says Yes or No  - if yes then your router is supplying the IP address for your laptop, if No then it means you have setup a static IP address on your device.

You can if at the command prompt also type ipconfig /flushdns and see if that helps.

See if any of that helps and if not give us the information from those entries above.