Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deteriating connection speed

BigDaz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Deteriating connection speed

Over the last 3 months or so my connection speeds been slowly dropping from an average of 6500kbps back in June to around 4500kbps today. It's slower than it used to be but not slow enough to qualify as a fault and I'm a bit worried about it getting worse. Up until now I've had no probs, it's been connecting at 6meg or higher ever since I got maxdsl. I haven't added/changed any hardware at all. My connection appears stable, just slower than usual.
Is it just contention/hard cheese or is there anything I can do? Do filters wear out?
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Deteriating connection speed

Contention shouldn't affect sync speed but can affect throughput.  The behaviour you describe implies that noise levels on your line are increasing and resulting in reduced sync speeds.  Why this is happening could be external or internal issues not associated with your connection (at least directly).  Many examples are mentioned elsewhere on the forums.
This broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose article might help.
David
lingbob
Grafter

I've also seen a gradual drop in my connection speed over the last 3 or 4 months. It used to be around 7300Kbps day in day out but it's gradually dropped to around 6600Kbps. I've tried all the usual stuff like different routers, cables, filters etc. etc. but to no avail. This is probably just a coincidence but the gradual drop in connection speed started round about the same time I changed my telephone service to PN. I don't see how that could possibly have an effect but one never knows.
Regards .....
James
Grafter

The theoretical maximum is suppose to be 7150Kbps isn't it?
lingbob
Grafter

James
Grafter

Sorry, thought you were referring to throughput and not synchronisation.