cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed (so pointless) slowing of PlusNet "line speed".

woodsider
Grafter

Delayed (so pointless) slowing of PlusNet "line speed".

Hi! An old problem has recurred out here in the wilds.
During the last 48 hours of storms our mains voltage has been playful, and our landline phone service has wobbled badly.
As was predictable, we have had dozens of DSL drops and reconnections at lower and lower speeds down to 448Kbps downstream.
With return to better weather conditions, all was sorted. For the last 18 hours, line speed has been stable at its max of 7616Kbps without a blink. With PlusNet still giving 6.5M, all was fine last night.
But now, it seems that PlusNet has caught up with the low DSL speeds registered earlier, and reduced our speed to 0.75M. 0.75M on 7.6M is annoying.
Question: Do I wait in hope PlusNet will notice that our DSL line is back at 7616, or do I try to get a kick? And what is the preferred way to ask?
10 REPLIES 10
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Delayed (so pointless) slowing of PlusNet "line speed".

Hi woodsider,
I don't know if the graph below is the router being switched off or you losing connection, but your BT profile is still 750, so nothing I do will make any difference until that changes. Your connection needs to remain solid for the profile to go back up. The best way for you to check what your BT IP profile is, is to run a BT speed test.
Jojo Smiley
woodsider
Grafter

So BT profile is 750, while the DSL line is actually back up and running at 7616!
I know the ways of BT are exceeding strange, but I'll check this out before commenting further.
Thanks for the check.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My understanding is that if you are on a 21CN exchange then the BT profile should track the sync rate immediately.  But under the old system that applies to 20CN exchanges the BT profile may take up to 72 hours to reflect your increased sync rate and your Plusnet profile will lag behind that.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@ReedRichards, that's right, with this being a 21CN connection it will take longer to update Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

20CN I hope  Grin Grin
woodsider
Grafter

Yes. We're "old system" (20CN) for sure here, though reliability is very much improved for almost a year now.
Thanks for comments.
As the line has been stable at 7616 now for nearly 24 hours, I did another BT speed test. No change.
Latest includes
"Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is -  750 Kbps"
I guess I just have to wait. Let's just say that  "Download speed achieved ...  626 Kbps" over 7616 Kbps gets a bit dull after a while.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

20CN, yes, apologies Smiley
woodsider
Grafter

The line has been stable at 7616 now for over 72 hours. The BT speedtest is still giving
"Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 750 Kbps".
Previously when we had this issue, I read that the IP profile updated within 3 days, but I now read that it may be longer. Do we have a definitive statement on how soon IP profiles should update these days?
Plusnet speed reduced from 6500 to 750 about 60 hours ago, so was lagging about 24-48 hours behind the problems when the storms were afflicting us. Is that about right?
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Not sure that BT really "does" definitive, but the usual figure for 20CN is "up to 72 hours" which from my time on it I would say is about right, but I have also seen "up to 5 days" mentioned.  Roll_eyes
The Plusnet profile adjustment also still seems a bit hit and miss, but of course has now done the only thing it can do, which is to match the BT profile.
The BT profile could well be stuck and the line need resetting - you will be beyond all reasonable doubt about this by Monday when the Digicare team will be back on here..................
woodsider
Grafter

BT's IP profile back from 750K to 6.5M during the fourth 24 hours of stable 7616Kbps line. "Bit slow".
Plusnet profile also back in this time, so faster to restore good speed than to drop earlier, and not requiring intervention (as was needed in the past). "Fine!"
Plusnet Forum: Took an age to come up with the "post reply" page, but got here at last.
All OK. Thanks for comments, folks.